Windows 7 Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This thread is getting a little tangled. Maybe a new thread could be started with dwgeo's problem (moderator)
Bot, back to the OP. If I am reading the posts correctly. It seems that you feel that the loss of about 15 extra Gbs on a windows 7, over an XP original install, is a problem. We are not discussing extra programs here. They would be common to both installs?
Quote "What I was referring to was all the space it took up on my HD. So I concluded that it was nothing more than bloatware. I'm running a system with only 232 GB. By the time I was finished loading 7 I was left with very little space to load my software. I'm a web designer so I have a lot. Since I reloaded Win XP and loaded all my software I still have 132 GB to play with. So you can see my dilemma. "

JWS

Reaction score
I have to agree with gareth. Windows 7 is fine if all you want to do is use the internet or type a letter. but no games will run on it

Reaction score
I have one 120GB SSD with Windows 7 Pro 64bit and no problem with room, anything i want to save i put on the external HDD.

I'm in the same boat with my Intel 160GB SSD and 7 x64.

Games run well. I gained a good amount of FPS when switching to Vista from XP and have lost a few when switching to 7.

I think a clean install of Win 7 is in order to make the switch a little easier.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with Goober on this. A clean install or a new PC (or laptop) with the Windows 7 of your choice preinstalled. Either option would be a lot easier and a lot less headache. You can purchase a quality system for less than you think. There are HP and Compaq laptops with Windows 7 preinstalled for just a little more than Windows 7 Ultimate OS alone. This Friday, Wal Mart is having a HP laptop for $298 that normally sells for over $500. And I hear bad things about SSD. I wouldn't have it if it was given to me. Regular high speed hard drives is all anyone needs.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Well if someone gives you an SSD can i have it catilley, as im very happy with mine and would love a free one ! :D

Reaction score
I've tried everything I can think of. Today I'll start over and do a clean install of Windows 7. The wake from sleep issues continue but I just had my DVD of the program delivered. It should make no difference but it should have worked right the first time also.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Veedaz, if I'm given a SSD hard drive, you can have it.

Reaction score
Win XP to Win 7

Hi,

I have been reading the comments with interest. I have recently moved from XP pro to windows 7 ultimate . Vista seemed very clunky to me so I went back to XP - but then thought I would try Win 7 and am so far impressed with it.

I also do web disign and graphics work so have alot installed. I cannot understand why Garrath has use such alot of space with his installation (maybe you are including your data files with that quote).

I have only used 59.2GB (including my data files) with the following programmes installed

Win 7 Ultimate, Office 2007 Dreamweaver and Fireworks CS4, Adobe Acrobat 9, and the full CS4 suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Flash, Premier Pro, After Effects as well as a whole host of other applications I use for my web and graphics work

I have 3Gb memory on 32 bit version of windows, and so far (4 weeks) my system is singing sweatly and it boots faster than XP did.

I have not come accross any bugs yet (though they will be there) and am have happy with the move.

I found that Symantec Endpoint 11 was not working well but have installed the latest Microsoft Security Essentials with seems great so far.

Over the years moving forward with new OS has been fun Win 2000 and XP being the best years. It has taken me a few weeks to come to terms with the new GUI of Win 7, but that is just a familiarity problem.

Touch wood !!

Reaction score
Hi agorman - Welcome to w7forums

Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad everything is working out for you. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Agorman, welcome! You will enjoy Windows 7 much more than XP Pro. That's what my main OS was until a month ago. I have no regrets, so far so good. A bug or two will always pop up in any OS. But with Windows 7, I've had one small issue, but it's no problem now. Enjoy your stay!

Reaction score
please convince me that the new windows 7 (home editon) system is a good thing. i changed from xp professional to windows 7 on my compaq presario5000 laptop. somewhere along the line i lost all sound and noise.(beeps, bells, whistles,etc.) NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE INSTALLED. i have tried everything that has been suggested short of paying for a new device. i feel like i have really been taken. i saved for three months in order to buy this because i trust microsoft to do the right thing. if anyone can help me i will be forever grateful. OH, ONE MORE THING, i did the custom install to completely replace my old system.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
darrel - Welcome to the Website! We hope you'll find it useful and enjoyable.

Go to compaq's website and look for the audio driver. Is it a V5000 CT?

IF it is, then download the Vista driver, whichever one will work; Vista or Vista 64

Is it a Conexant Audio driver?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
darrel, welcome to the forums, there's always room for one more. I'm assuming that you got the Home Premium. Did you backup? If so, the driver files will be there. I hope that you didn't do this, but some people make the mistake of booting off of the new OS without backing up and everything works like new. It doesn't work that way. You either need the backup file or the driver disc, if one was provided to you with the laptop. I understand that you saved for three months, but Microsoft did their end of the deal. You ordered an OS and they sent it to you, and unless the disc was defective or the key won't activate, Microsoft did the "right thing". I'm not jumping on you, but these are the plain facts. If you did not backup, as it sounds like you didn't, then you need to either visitDwnload center to get your proper driver, or obtain a "driver disc" for your laptop. I have one for both of mine, and it saved my butt more than once. You can order one from http://seifelden.com I hope that you did backup and have the drivers, but I made the same mistake myself a few years ago. You should always get a driver disc for your computer in case you need it. This man I told you about, it should be $5 to $6 for the disc. Hope you get things worked out soon.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
And by the way, Windows 7 doesn't stink! It's the way some people have installed the OS, or a virus infection that is your problem. And even with a clean install, BACKUP! There's usually something that you'll end up needing, even though at the time you may not have thought so. Backup & Clean Install are the two most important things to do when moving to another OS. I've installed various OS's for myself and others and not doing these two things can and usually will cause problems with the new OS.

Reaction score
And by the way, Windows 7 doesn't stink!
As much as I agree with you catilley. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And yes some are having troubles with Windows 7 even though they did a clean install and without virus infection. When you made this post, you were effectively mounting an attack on the Original Poster. As much as I don't want to see a bad review on Windows 7, It would be foolish to think there are non. If we can help the original poster, maybe he will retract his own words but until then it would only lead to debate.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sorry, Clifford and Gareth. I would never deliberately attack another poster. But there has been so many other problems posted within his thread that the attention has been diverted from his post. I do recall trying to help him and encourage him to hang in there. And I do hope that things have worked out for you, Gareth. Everyone does have the right to their opinion.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I think a big reason for possible problems stems from the fact that many, many people bought their computer with Windows XP or Vista already installed and never had to do a reinstall and now their thrown into installing a totally new Operating System and are now finding out about drivers and such the hard way.

I really hope darrel dosen't give up too quickly and tries out a few things before giving up.

To draw a comparison, I drive an automatic car and if I bought a brand new standard car tomorrow, I'm sure I'd be a bit upset and thinking that the standard car sucks when it just different than what I'm used to and I need to have a bit more patience in learing to use it.

Reaction score
good morning everyone. would like to thank everybody that responded to my post last night. i tried NIBIRU 2012's suggestion. all steps were in order, but in the end, NO AUDIO. to draceena, i,m not too knowledgable with computers but i AM learning. (the hard way) I,ve been going at this for about three days now and i,ve got to do whatever it takes to fix unless i want to live without sound. so, i,m ready for more ideas if anybody has any. WAITING IN MONTANA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question