Windows 7 Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
???

Of course there are.
This is the exact same way members of the Politbureau responded to political criticism in the USSR. Just deny everything and threaten the media with exile in Siberia.

However there really aren`t windows. There is just one window with loads of lists, or there is some way to adjust the display that I haven`t found. If this is the case may I ask why the program is preset to it`s most annoying and unintuitive setting?

Secondly I wasn`t talking about exporer but your wonderful window.

And I don`t have any addons apart from Firefox. When I have too many pages up it slows down, quite unlike when I was using 98 and xp. After a while of this it crashes if I dont restart. Same person, same addons, same habits. Only change is having installed Annoying Lists 7.

One more thing I might mention to heap derision on W7 is that roughly 85% of my games are now utterly unusable. Let me guess: I have to buy some more Microsoft crud online to make stuff work?

Fat chance.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This is the exact same way members of the Politbureau responded to political criticism in the USSR. Just deny everything and threaten the media with exile in Siberia.

However there really aren`t windows. There is just one window with loads of lists, or there is some way to adjust the display that I haven`t found. If this is the case may I ask why the program is preset to it`s most annoying and unintuitive setting?

Secondly I wasn`t talking about exporer but your wonderful window.

And I don`t have any addons apart from Firefox. When I have too many pages up it slows down, quite unlike when I was using 98 and xp. After a while of this it crashes if I dont restart. Same person, same addons, same habits. Only change is having installed Annoying Lists 7.

One more thing I might mention to heap derision on W7 is that roughly 85% of my games are now utterly unusable. Let me guess: I have to buy some more Microsoft crud online to make stuff work?

Fat chance.
Well that's too bad you don't like Windows 7. Apparently you haven't explored it much and realized that you can tweak it quite a bit. The windows may be configured several different ways... but apparently you have taken off the blinders to explore the various options.

Most of your statements are disingenuous and specious. Also you should have checked to see which of your games would be compatible with Windows 7.

So don't come here bad-mouthing Windows 7 if you're not willing to really get in to the "meat and potatoes" of the operating system.

Go ahead and re-install XP, be happy and watch as the rest zoom by you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First of all there aren`t really any windows anymore, so the OS should really be called `Unintuitive Lists 7`.
You don't seem to understand that "Windows" has to do with being able to run multiple applications, each in its' own "Window"; it has nothing to do with menus. It also has nothing to do with whether your browser is set to use tabs instead of separate windows.

Let me give you an example of why this is annoying: Let`s say you are downloading addons for a game or audio files. Instead of opening 2 windows, one containing unzipped files and one containing the extracted contents, a quick and intuitive way of doing things in all previous versions. Instead you are now stuck with the download frame and the horrible, awful, contemtible and hugely annoying main interface `window`, where files must now be copied from one cramped list on the right to an even more cramped one on the left. To add to my enjoyment these lists frequently collapse so I have to fiddle through them over and over again to get to the correct sub-directory. Once for every file so far, I`ve probably missed something `intuitive`though.
Secondly I wasn`t talking about explorer but your wonderful window
The standard application with lists of folders is called "Windows Explorer"; you will need to step up and learn the terms for things or you will never understand answers to your questions even if anyone has a solution. If this is NOT the application to which you are referring then take a screen shot and post a picture of the app you mean.

To top it off it`s slow and frequently crashes from Firefox forcing restarts. This might be due to other things of course, but in my experience any problems you encounter with a PC has a 75% chance of being caused by Lists, err I mean Windows..
Your experience seems to be flawed there in Siberia comrade, most errors are not the fault of the OS but of the drivers written by the manufacturers for the hardware or by the applications themselves including many anti-virus programs. The crashes I seem to experience in Firefox seem to happen during video display which would point to an issue with the Adobe flash add-in (which doesn't surprise me at all!)

Nothing is perfect and if it helps you relieve a little pressure by ranting about W7 then so be it. If you go back to an old OS that's fine if you are happy with it but if you decide to try out W7 a bit longer then remember the saying "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar" so if you would like to know if there are solutions to some of your problems then start threads on each item and you can mention you are frustrated but word it politely and we will help if we can. If you are seriously coming from Win98 then, yes, you have a lot of learning to do.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you don't like the tabs in Internet Explorer and you feel those should each be in a separate window then you can disable tabbed browsing...
IE-tabs.jpg

FireFox has similar setting options but since FireFox isn't a Microsoft product and doesn't come with the OS, you can hardly blame Microsoft if you do not like the way it functions.

As for Windows Explorer you can set it so that every time you click on a folder on the right side of the two panel display that it actually opens a separate window. True, it will still be another dual panel window, not just a simple single pane, but hey this isn't windows 3.1 any longer; so yes it's a little more complicated and maybe Microsoft overestimated some users abilities but most can figure it out. To clarify, the left side window pane is the directory tree structure and the right side window pane is the actual folder you are currently "in" ...
WindowsExplorerSameWindow.jpg

NOTE: There is potentially a third panel in windows explorer if you enable the preview pane (I don't) ... in case you do then the current folder is in the center and the preview pane is the third panel on the right.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK I hadn't done it the old way in so long, even in XP, that I didn't even realize it was still possible to have a single pane explorers window. This works well with the open folder in a separate window item I already displayed above. To set your windows explorer to a single pane just disable the preview pane and the navigation pane ...
WindowsExplorer1Pane.jpg

... so there you have your single pane window that opens new windows when you click on a folder. Just FYI dual and triple pane windows are still windows, even if the panes contain "Lists" of information.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
One more thing I might mention to heap derision on W7 is that roughly 85% of my games are now utterly unusable.
Then that's the fault of your game designers not keeping up with the times! It is not Windows 7 responsibility to be backwards compatible with ancient technologies. That's exactly what got Microsoft in so much trouble with the insecure XP - at the insistence of its user-base, it weighed legacy support over security.

Blame the badguys - not Microsoft.

But also, note that hardware makers have not been sitting on their thumbs the last 10 years either. They have been making HUGE advances in the state-of-the-art and these advances require a modern OS to make them work, and work together.

Bottom line, buy current hardware and current versions of your software, and Window 7 will make it all shine!

Reaction score
I'm simply telling you that Windows does in fact, have Windows.

Please don't turn this thread or any other thread into a political one. This site is not the venue for such.

If you're looking for honest help with computing issues, this site has an excellent member base willing to help you with anything you could possibly want to learn about.

Other than that, please take the political rants to a different website that supports such discussions. I do not appreciate the comparison here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Please don't turn this thread or any other thread into a political one. This site is not the venue for such.
I really don't believe he's trying to be political, he was just using a poor choice of an analogy to express his frustrations with his inability to mesh and use Windows 7's different interface.

Remember to consider the source of the statement. My Mother would have said: "Well, he's acting like a horse's patoot!"

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I wonder what happened to the OP! Still thinks W7 stinks?

Reaction score
I wonder what happened to the OP! Still thinks W7 stinks?

Well obviously sarcasm is the only way to express my feelings about W7 when I`m complaining to the congregation as I am here, which leads me to post some more experiences with this blight.

I just installed Silent Hunter 3 and it went fine. Then when I tried starting it I got the following message: "This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP/ Server 2003 only."

Sigh.....

Since this was not entirely unexpected as about half my games respond in similar ways to W7 I immediately typed this uncopyable message into Google to find other sorry sods who had been afflicted with this wonderful OS. On the forum I found for this exotic problem it said thusly:

"Originally posted by Kentubi1983:
I see that a lot of people need the solution, so I post it here.

1. Completely remove SH3, and Starforce:
http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
(execute the application in rar archive sfcdrvrem.rar)

Go to the buttom of the page and you find the download to remove Starforce.

2. search for
Silent Hunter 3 v1.4b [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE
on ************* and download it. Its a zip-file (rld-sh14.rar) containing the following files:
SH3.EXE, MISSIONENGINE.DLL, SIMDATA.DLL, UTILS.DLL & STATEMACHINE.DLL

3. Install SH3 and remove the disc from the drive after installation, make sure the game does NOT run after installation.

4. Patch to 1.4b (execute application silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_emea) and make sure the game doesn't start after patching.

5. Extract the contents of the zip-file into SH3's install directory and let it overwrite the files it needs to overwrite.

6. At this point you should be able to play the game.

Kent"

The problems with this solution are many, but most relevantly is that I have no idea what Starforce is, it does not appear in explorer nor can I find it in any folder. Also I don`t know what rar archive sfcdrvrem.rar means, which seems important judging from the post. Furthermore it doesn`t seem exactly fair that I should have to jump through all these hoops every time I want to run a program.

Now call me silly, but this hardly seems like a failure of mine to "mesh" or "adapt" to new features of W7, but like a bad OS, riddled with bugs and ulcer-inducing annoyances.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Have you installed the latest patch from Ubisoft? Silent Hunter III
Patch v1.4b

Have you tried running the game in "Compatibility Mode"? Do you know how to run games and applications that way?

So you went straight from Windows 98 to Windows 7? That's quite a leap in operating systems.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
starforce is a version of copy protection.
Wiki

It likely installed with the game.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I just installed Silent Hunter 3 and it went fine. Then when I tried starting it I got the following message: "This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP/ Server 2003 only."

Sigh.....

Furthermore it doesn`t seem exactly fair that I should have to jump through all these hoops every time I want to run a program.

Now call me silly, but this hardly seems like a failure of mine to "mesh" or "adapt" to new features of W7, but like a bad OS, riddled with bugs and ulcer-inducing annoyances.
It is your failure! You failed to do your homework before migrating to Win7 by ensuring all your programs would run on Windows 7 first.

Microsoft catered to its [mostly corporate] user base with XP by providing support of legacy hardware and software and got slammed and bashed for the next 10 years due to badguys exploiting the unpredictable explosion of the security environment. So to avoid that from happening again, Microsoft wisely, and correctly, put security first and wrote Windows 7 to support today's hardware and software.

The bottom line is you need to get with the times. Windows 7 was not created to support obsolete programs so it is unfair of you to blame it when it doesn't. Upgrade to SH5, which is supported by Win7.

Reaction score
Windows 7 Not Happy User

Hi Guys, I went from an old pc running XP Pro to new pc running Win7. I amvery disappointed as I keep getting this msg "not responding" all the time. I have posted problem on many sites looked at many expert comments but none seem to fix the problem. Yet I havent heard 1 peep out of Microsfot re this problem. I send error reports automatically etc but still no reply. Many say the problem is within Win 7 but its in Vista as well, which means its been around a long time.

I have done all the so called things experts said to do. HDD analysis, removed security, ran scans, but it still persists.

Can anyone say there is a fix or Microsoft has the problem and investigating ??

Anyways not happy user here.

Reaction score
Well to show that sometimes it works okay.
I went straight from XP to 7 . 99% of the programs I use in XP run under 7.
All my existing hardware was satisfactory to run 7 except I canot run XP mode.
It was the easiest install I've done.
It's faster then XP for most things.
Sound and video also better with the same hardware.

The downsides I've found, file system a bit of a learning curve as to how it organises things and a brand new HP printer installed happily under XP but not 7 and a new PCiE card to give me ESATA works reliably under XP but inconsistently under 7.

I had a play with a friends computer running Vista, thinking if I knew 7 I could work Vista. Vista much harder and not nearly as easy to use as 7.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
allant, if you want help then you need to be more specific.

What program gives you "not responding," Internet Explorer? Microsoft Word? etc? If it's IE then what type/speed internet connection do you have?

What are your computer specs (CPU, RAM}? Which version of Win7? 32 or 64-bit?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
My two cents worth here: since adding Service Pack 1, the "...not responding" message hardly ever appears now. It still does, but is quite rare.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I get it when I have a huge Word document and it is background saving. In Firefox I often get it when I minimize a TVLand video after watching it fullscreen; this seems to be a problem with Firefox's video and I end up having to force FF closed and then it tells me FF is still running when I try to restart.

So there are normal delays and there are program issues that can have nothing to do with the W7 OS being bad.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
new pc running Win7
I keep getting this msg "not responding" all the time
havent heard 1 peep out of Microsfot re this problem.
in Vista as well, which means its been around a long time.
You are assuming the "not responding" error message has a single cause. That is woefully incorrect. It can be one of many potential causes that result in this message being thrown up. You are also assuming it is Windows with the problem. That is also incorrect. It might be a Windows app that has failed to respond and has "timed out", but it could be any number of other non-OS things (hardware, driver, program, service, connection, and more) that has the problem and Windows is simply reporting that to you.

So you would have to be specific as to what is not responding. It might be best to start a new thread for just your problem too, so it could get the right attention.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
There are many many fixes once the symptoms have been diagnosed accurately. You have given us nothing to go on as Trainable said.

Try again and don't anger the duck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question