Windows 7 Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I heard horror stories about Vista so I thought that there might be some major improvements to Windows 7. Yeah, sure! What a piece of junk. First of all it's a memory hog. Second, it actually went and changed settings on my boot menu.

I read all the stuff I was suppose to before I installed it but it didn't make any difference. Man, what a rip-off. Furthermore, I had one hell of a time getting the bloody thing off my machine so that I could restore Windows XP. As far as I'm concerned it's a waste of time and money. Also, I don't think that there is anything "classy" about it at all.

All I can say is Caveat emptor. Another piece of junk from Microshit. Evidently, Gates doesn't have enough money.

Gareth :mad:

Reaction score
Hi Gareth - Welcome to w7forums

If you need assistance with Windows 7, we will be happy to help you work through the problems you may have.

You should not post negativity until you have asked for help. I personally don't see how you can make these claims. However if you are happiest with XP, I wish you all the best with an outdated operating system.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I agree with Cliffords's comment.
It is a little precocious to climb in to a Windows 7 forum with such adverse comments. If you browse, I think you will find that, whilst a tiny minority may agree with you, you stand alone with your radical view.
Perhaps , as suggested, if you posted some of the difficulties you encountered, you could get some valuable help here.
Dont go. Try us?

Reaction score
I agree with Cliffords's comment.
It is a little precocious to climb in to a Windows 7 forum with such adverse comments. If you browse, I think you will find that, whilst a tiny minority may agree with you, you stand alone with your radical view.
Perhaps , as suggested, if you posted some of the difficulties you encountered, you could get some valuable help here.
Dont go. Try us?
Well spoken. OK, maybe I was a bit hasty in my comments. However, you didn't have to spend two days trying to fix a twisted mess. In addition, I didn't know this forum existed until today. I still think Windows 7 stinks; you folks obviously think its a godsend. I didn't like the layout, how it worked, I couldn't find Windows Explorer files, I could only pin certain things to the taskbar, and on, and on. Maybe I should have taken a course in Applied Geekery before I attempted my foray into the unkown. I've worked with computers for over 30 years and except for Windows XP it seem that everytime Microsoft launches a "new" operating system things always get worse.

Nevertheless, I appeciate your kind comments and your willingness to help me out.

Gareth ;)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Gareth, calm down. Until last week, I was an XP Pro user since 2002, and before that, I was a Win 2K user. I still have the laptops that dual boots both OS's. I skipped Vista, tried Ubuntu Linux, it would have really drove you up the wall, as it did me. XP still has a lot of life in it. But Windows 7 really isn't bad. It's a great system, and as you learn it, you'll start using XP less and less. Did you do this install or did you buy a new system with Win 7 preinstalled? I bought a new PC and Win 7 was preinstalled. That is the first thing that we need to know before anyone can help you. If you bought it preinstalled, most of the time you have a satisfaction guarantee or can get online or phone assistance. If you did the upgrade or clean install yourself, there were many issues to handle first. Mabye you can get help here, as I did last week. I've had Win 7 for a week today, and it is the best OS that Microsoft ever produced. And it's no more of a memory hog than XP is. One of my laptops has 2GB RAM (one of the XP's), this new PC has 2GB. Guess which one runs faster? The new one with Win 7 does. In fact, I ran into one person on this forum and he is running Win 7 on 512MB RAM. I don't know how, but he is. This OS does not consume a lot of RAM. Personally, I don't know about Vista, but everyone that I knew that had it said almost what you are saying about Win 7. And you are a 30 year veteran with computers? Then you firsthand know that things doesn't always go right. I'm only a 10 year veteran here. My first OS was Win 2K Pro. You could be a very valuable person on this forum, having 30 years under your belly. Cool down, everything will work out. And by the way Bill Gates has left Microsoft, he has moved on to other interests.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you mad the jump from XP to Windows 7, then, with many others with the same problem, Windows 7 is unfortunately a new learning experience. Give it a little time. I am sorry that you took it off your computer again with such haste.

"you folks obviously think its a godsend" lol. Not at all. I think the vast majority of users find it is a great step forward from Vista, and a few less ditto XP. But in has innovative features and is a move forward in OS's. It is a bad argument to compare it to XP. On a lighter note, in my youth I ran a 1939 MG . It out performed the sedate saloon I now have. But then I did not have electric window, central locking, ABS, if you see where I,m going?
With 30 years of experience, I feel, after you familiarise yourself with Windows 7, you can offer members on this forum and others, more than they can return

I must confess, and no rudeness is intended, that my first computer , built from a kit was a Sinclair ZX80, in 1981. (only 28 years experience)I have followed the line since then and will admit that I had some stress and a lot of hiccups when I moved into Vista. After that 7 was a breeze.

Cattilley. "I ran into one person on this forum and he is running Win 7 on 512MB RAM."
That would be me. But, for the record, this was an experiment on a friends computer, dragged from his workshop. The computer itself was up to date but ill equipped. I was just trying to prove a point to him - and succeeded.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Sometimes being thrown into the deep end of the pool can give a bad impression on swimming and it looks somewhat like you experienced the same with a "cold" leap from xp to 7. If you have the resources may I suggest a dual-boot? That way you can have your old-faithful XP and 'tinker' with Windows 7.

This way, if you hit a hurdle, you can take a break and still use your computer the way you like and take the time to get adjusted to the differences.

If, in the end, you still do not like windows 7, you have at least given it a chance.

Reaction score
Gareth, calm down. Until last week, I was an XP Pro user since 2002, and before that, I was a Win 2K user. I still have the laptops that dual boots both OS's. I skipped Vista, tried Ubuntu Linux, it would have really drove you up the wall, as it did me. XP still has a lot of life in it. But Windows 7 really isn't bad. It's a great system, and as you learn it, you'll start using XP less and less. Did you do this install or did you buy a new system with Win 7 preinstalled? I bought a new PC and Win 7 was preinstalled. That is the first thing that we need to know before anyone can help you. If you bought it preinstalled, most of the time you have a satisfaction guarantee or can get online or phone assistance. If you did the upgrade or clean install yourself, there were many issues to handle first. Mabye you can get help here, as I did last week. I've had Win 7 for a week today, and it is the best OS that Microsoft ever produced. And it's no more of a memory hog than XP is. One of my laptops has 2GB RAM (one of the XP's), this new PC has 2GB. Guess which one runs faster? The new one with Win 7 does. In fact, I ran into one person on this forum and he is running Win 7 on 512MB RAM. I don't know how, but he is. This OS does not consume a lot of RAM. Personally, I don't know about Vista, but everyone that I knew that had it said almost what you are saying about Win 7. And you are a 30 year veteran with computers? Then you firsthand know that things doesn't always go right. I'm only a 10 year veteran here. My first OS was Win 2K Pro. You could be a very valuable person on this forum, having 30 years under your belly. Cool down, everything will work out. And by the way Bill Gates has left Microsoft, he has moved on to other interests.
I misspoke in my first post when I said that Win 7 was a memory hog. What I was referring to was all the space it took up on my HD. So I concluded that it was nothing more than bloatware. I'm running a system with only 232 GB. By the time I was finished loading 7 I was left with very little space to load my software. I'm a web designer so I have a lot. Since I reloaded Win XP and loaded all my software I still have 132 GB to play with. So you can see my dilemma. Now, if I had a system with a 50 terabyte HD I could play with this thing till the cows came home. Well, this whole business is my own darn fault. I was right in the middle of a project when I made the switch. Bad idea. My client got his knickers in a twist because his project wasn't getting done fast enough and so on. So I'm running around here like a one legged man at at a fancy dance trying to put everything back together.

Does anyone else have a system with small storage space like mine? If so, how do you deal with a 7 OS and lots of software? Right now it's got me hangin'. Maybe after the steam stops coming out of my ears I'll give it another shot.

Gareth :dontknow:

PS: I'm not one to keep up on the comings and goings of Bill Gates. :lol:

Reaction score
I misspoke in my first post when I said that Win 7 was a memory hog. What I was referring to was all the space it took up on my HD. So I concluded that it was nothing more than bloatware. I'm running a system with only 232 GB. By the time I was finished loading 7 I was left with very little space to load my software. I'm a web designer so I have a lot. Since I reloaded Win XP and loaded all my software I still have 132 GB to play with. So you can see my dilemma. Now, if I had a system with a 50 terabyte HD I could play with this thing till the cows came home. Well, this whole business is my own darn fault. I was right in the middle of a project when I made the switch. Bad idea. My client got his knickers in a twist because his project wasn't getting done fast enough and so on. So I'm running around here like a one legged man at at a fancy dance trying to put everything back together.

Does anyone else have a system with small storage space like mine? If so, how do you deal with a 7 OS and lots of software? Right now it's got me hangin'. Maybe after the steam stops coming out of my ears I'll give it another shot.

As an illustration/animation student I too use alot of software and need to keep alot of stored space for work. With a 320gig HDD its a ok, but Im definately not regretting the switch to W7. I cant really give you any expert advice but I do suggest you stick with it instead of running back to XP. Having said that, if you look at my sig youll notice a sudden need for massive upgrades. W7 will run with mid range hardware but to get the most out of it you need some headroom....

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Professional with quite a few programs and its taking up about 20GB total on my HDD. It only uses about 10GB after a clean install.

I went directly from XP Pro x64 to Windows 7. As the others have said, give it some time. Actually in a few weeks you'll like it much better. There are many good tutorials here and also on Paul Thurrott's Windows SuperSite.

Now I will admit that some users have experienced problems when doing an upgrade versus a clean install. Upgrades have caused some stalling and hang issues.

Maybe now is the time to upgrade to another HDD? I saw one on sale the other day; a 750GB SATA II 32MB Cache for $59. Migrate all your files, etc to the bigger hard drive and use the other for a dual-boot setup.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I By the time I was finished loading 7 I was left with very little space to load my software. I'm a web designer so I have a lot. Since I reloaded Win XP and loaded all my software I still have 132 GB to play with. So you can see my dilemma.. :lol:
Me again to bug you. Windows 7 needs +/- 17Gbs more than win XP. So I'm assuming, if I understand your dillema, all things being equal, you should still hyave about 115Gbs to play with after loading Windows 7??
Not enough?

Reaction score
I'm running a system with only 232 GB. By the time I was finished loading 7 I was left with very little space to load my software.
Windows 7 uses about 8GB more than Windows XP. If the 8GB puts you in a crunch, It maybe time to upgrade hard drives. If you had the money for a operating system upgrade surely you have the money to double your drive space. 1TB drives are cheaper than a Windows 7 Premium Upgrade. And if you have a system that doesn't carry SATA support there are adapters to bridge the gap between IDE to SATA.

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Professional with quite a few programs and its taking up about 20GB total on my HDD. It only uses about 10GB after a clean install.

I went directly from XP Pro x64 to Windows 7. As the others have said, give it some time. Actually in a few weeks you'll like it much better. There are many good tutorials here and also on Paul Thurrott's Windows SuperSite.

Now I will admit that some users have experienced problems when doing an upgrade versus a clean install. Upgrades have caused some stalling and hang issues.

Maybe now is the time to upgrade to another HDD? I saw one on sale the other day; a 750GB SATA II 32MB Cache for $59. Migrate all your files, etc to the bigger hard drive and use the other for a dual-boot setup.
Those of you who have suggested that I upgrade my HD is a good one and one in which I have been giving a lot of thought to lately I just haven't got around to it yet; I know I need to. I'm running a Dell so I'll have to be careful when it comes to upgrading an HD; some of them can be a bit fussy. The other problem is that I did do an upgrade from XP which could have caused some of my problems but I have it now so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Saying that 7 stinks was a bit harsh but I was in the process of tearing my hair out. To be honest there were some things on it I really liked. I just need to get this project finished first and upgrade my HD and give it another go. After 30 years in this business my philosophy is this: there isn't anything on a computer that can't be fixed given a little time. After all it cut my teeth back in the days of punch cards processed on a Fortran. My first computer was a 64 KB IBM. Yeah, OK, I'm a fossil. So, keep on laughing; it's good for the soul.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions...More later.

Peace,

Gareth

Last edited:
Reaction score
Who are you talking about? There is 6 people here.
I was referring to the folks who suggested that I upgrade my HD. It sounds from your post that you've had a few headaches of your own. I can certainly empathize with you. You know, this looks to me like a pretty darn good forum; they're hard to find. So I'd stick with it. There seems to be a lot of folks here who really know their stuff. I know I'll be back as soon as I get some things squared away.

Best wishes,

Gareth

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Home Premium, and including average numbers of apps, it's only taking about 20GB on my hard drive as well.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I also have Win 7 Home Premium, and the OS with all my other programs is using 27GB on my drive. That's more than Win 2K Pro & XP Pro with their programs put together. And I've got a lot of programs on those laptops that are dual booting those two. On this PC, 27GB for the OS and a handful of programs, now I understand that I'm not the only one in this situation. And now I understand why 320GB is pretty much standard on most systems these days. 100GB wouldn't cut it for Win 7.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have one 120GB SSD with Windows 7 Pro 64bit and no problem with room, anything i want to save i put on the external HDD.

Reaction score

If you did an upgrade installation over XP it's quite possible your previous files were stored in a "windows.old" folder. If everything was previously backed up, deleting that folder will free up a good bit of space. Just check on your local drive and see if that folder exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question