SOLVED Is this a good price for Win7?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's that simple, Kalario. Although I've never went through all the trouble of downloading drivers & such, and have installed many OS's with minimal problems, it's best to do so anyway. A CD will do for most users.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That looks like a slimmed down version of the Upgrade that has 32 & 64 in it. I think if I saw that I didn't realize it was OEM.

As for eBay, unless the policy changed an IDE cable is wouldn't be acceptable; MOBO or HD or computer are only things w/in current eBay guidelines, unless it is for a peripheral device:

• OEM, bundled, or recovery software may be listed only if it is included along with the original hardware, such as the motherboard, hard drive, or computer sold with the OEM software.
  • Utility software and drivers bundled with peripheral devices, such as a printer or scanner, may be listed only if it is included along with the original peripheral device.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/software.html

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, eBay is following the "corporate line" to avoid any hassle with MS. I think they're being a little too anal on this one.

Isn't it peculiar that Newegg doesn't have the same requirements? I had two friends order OEM copies from Newegg with no problems at all.

From an eBay seller:
To comply with Microsoft / Ebay's OEM software policy this item will be shipped with a Hard Drive chosen by the seller. The hard drive is sold "as-is" and is not covered by a warranty.
What these sellers are doing is selling bad or dead hard drives to get around that stupid "hardware" requirement, nothing more. The OEM copy is for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Starting bid is for $85.3.

Notice the MS factory OEM DVD case?

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I usually got an old RAM chip or dead hard drive when I ordered OEM Windows OS's on eBay. No problem, the program & COA was what I wanted anyway. I don't recall Newegg offering a part like that, although I may have missed it in the fine print. I get an ad from them everyday.

If you live in an area that has it, that new TechNet offering would be the best choice. That way, you can evaluate as many Windows 7, Vista, XP, Windows Server 2003 & 2008 that you want. And to the best of my knowledge, there's an Australian member here who is a TechNet member (Jeffreyobrian). You can have a lot more to choose from that way.

Just remember, it's for educational (your learning) and evaluation purposes. Like 2010 Office Pro Plus is for me, I'll be still be evaluating it in 2020, because it will take me that long to figure it all out. I've just this week learned to send a greeting card with it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, eBay is following the "corporate line" to avoid any hassle with MS. I think they're being a little too anal on this one.

Isn't it peculiar that Newegg doesn't have the same requirements? I had two friends order OEM copies from Newegg with no problems at all.

From an eBay seller:

What these sellers are doing is selling bad or dead hard drives to get around that stupid "hardware" requirement, nothing more. The OEM copy is for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Starting bid is for $85.3.

Notice the MS factory OEM DVD case?

That is some agreement that MS & eBay came up with, there were so many fakes sold on eBay at one time. Like you, I don't understand why other resellers doesn't have to follow the same rule. Amazon, for instance, sells many Windows OS's, OEM & Retail, many of the Retail ones are used discs & keys, the ads states that.

But eBay now has their own counterfeit policy in place, you buy a fake, and can prove it, you're refunded your money. It's happened to me twice, the second time I wasn't even asked to send it back. I still have the book, so many misspelled words and grammar mistakes, it was obvious. Even the MS info on the disc was on a sticker, the real discs, the wording is embedded within the disc.

I just feel that agreement is outdated, no other seller is held to that requirement, regarding sending a piece of broken hardware. What's the point? If hardware should accompany the software, at least it should work.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
But eBay now has their own counterfeit policy in place, you buy a fake, and can prove it, you're refunded your money.
What eBay requires as proof can be difficult. If they require you to send it back then they are not classifying it as counterfeit, simply returned for refund. I had a counterfeit flashdrive and Kingston explained how I could tell but wouldn't issue me anything in writing - they said eBay can tell from photos, but eBay never asked for any photos, just told me to send it back.

BTW if you mail a counterfeit, EVEN JUST TO RETURN IT, YOU have committed mail fraud. I mailed the guy a pooper scooper bag (w/ delv conf to meet ebay requirements) on which I had written "clean up your sh*$"). Lost $3.50 in S&H but got my initial $110. The flashdrive looks really cool but the chip is such crap I can't even reflash it to its actual 1GB.

eBay doesn't care, they only act if it is in their best interests, and they only have one interest: money. So only the fear of lawsuits, like from Microsoft or Gucci, make them act on counterfeits.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The first one (a XP Pro SP2 OEM version) was sent back to eBay, and they quickly verified it was a fake. So the second time (less than a month apart), they didn't even question me, I'm a highly rated buyer on eBay (100% rating, 71 transactions, all were paid as soon as I won). Out of those 71 transactions, only 2 bad apples.

I've bought more duds from local merchants than that, and there's no telling how many times that I had to return clothes that in some way or the other, wouldn't fit my wife. Even had to exchange a couple of pairs of shoes that didn't fit me right.

I've had better luck on eBay. Even this notebook that I'm about to get my money back on, wasn't a bad deal. The warranty cost me $46 for two years. Shipping, even returning it, is free. So when it's all said and done, I'll have used a notebook for two years for $46. I had two others to go the same way, the first, I used a year and a half for around $40, the second, a year for $24. Go rent one and see what it costs. If you buy a warranty, chances are you'll get your money back, and use the product a long time before it breaks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Oh, well if you sent it to THEM, that's different. I wish they had told me to send it to them, sometimes I think it depends who answers the phone at their end.

Just FYI, the 100% doesn't mean much as a buyer these days, since eBay no longer allows a seller to leave neutral or negative (except possibly if you refuse to pay at all).

My buyer account has 663 transactions at 100%, my seller account is 282 transactions at 100%. I would say I've had about 10-15 purchases that weren't really acceptable, only a few blatant fakes or never sent but a few that didn't mention touch-up paint or damage, and several where shippers are total idiots when it comes to packaging.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
We hijacked Mychael's thread.

The answer is YES, apparently at going rates and for knowing your supplier is giving you a legitimate copy - Yes, Yes it's a good deal!

I recommend Professional. And I think Nibs exaggerated about "8000 languages" in Ultimate, last I checked it was 26 and even then it only recommends you install the minimum you need, to keep the OS lean and mean.

Reaction score
We hijacked Mychael's thread.

The answer is YES, apparently at going rates and for knowing your supplier is giving you a legitimate copy - Yes, Yes it's a good deal!

I recommend Professional. And I think Nibs exaggerated about "8000 languages" in Ultimate, last I checked it was 26 and even then it only recommends you install the minimum you need, to keep the OS lean and mean.

ahaha, I've forgotten the question now. Thanks guys. I'll order from them. I've bought most of my hardware from them over the years and have an account so hopefully they'll just sell me the OEM without hassle.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Only eBay gives a hassle; you shouldn't have a problem.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This thread is solved! Tadaa! :dancing2:

Ask a Question