WTF I can't access my user profile on my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Also named BEWARE THE 320GB !!

yes it is i with another friendly tip after having suffered just such a fate. all this long while since id last posted, id had issues with mostly realtime stuff and could not spend as much time on my comp as i used to. one day i was browsing and my comp was running laggish and responding worse than vista. so. i decided to shut down for the night after i logged off of my game i was playing at the time and went to bed. next morning. i tried to turn my comp back on to get into gaming again.. and much to my dismayed surprise i had no power or anything to my system. it had shut down on me for some mysterious reason. so i called my tech buddy to rescue me because i was out of my element there. he came in and reconnected everything properly and when we went to turn it on... i got the same error that id had before i was able to ( luckily ) enter into my user profile before. but alas no longer . windows cannot access the user profile data . erg i had no more system. as i type these wrds my solution had been told to me by my buddy. my 320 gb hd that was4 years old was finally starting to die. (fortunately for me another good buddy of mine had given me a 500gb before the crash.. UNFORTUNATELY the backup image i'd made didn't function at all) so as i sit here rebuilding my comp yet again. i send this timely message out to all you users out there who have 320gb hard drives you're running . the time of the 320 gb is now over and we need to upgrade to something bigger because those poor 320s can't hold up anymore. the only thing theyre good for now is cold storage for data ( no cables to it. unplug after youve finished the transfer and leave it unplugged until you need to update whats on there) so it is with a bit of a sheepish expression i wear as i post this hopefully timely warning to all of us who still run the 320 gb hardrives :p ( i did until this happened and now sadly am currently in the middle of a rebuild from scratch)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The fact the HD is 320GB is not why it started to fail, it is more likely from being 4 years old and would still depend on amount of use and how often it is moved etc. A 120GB HD could easily last longer than 4 years and a 3TB drive could crash in 3 months. HDs fail, that's why we encourage regularly scheduled back-ups to a separate external HD.

Sorry for your HD loss but now you will have a nice fresh install not cluttered with all the old junk of programs long gone etc; hopefully it runs smoother, cleaner.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hard drives do die, some sooner than others. That's a fact of life anytime we deal with anything designed and built by man... period.

Your comment about a "certain size" hard drive being more susceptible to failure versus another size is totally without merit or evidence on your part. You're just assuming... you know what happens when one assumes. TM told you exactly how things are; ie, regardless of the size of the hard drive, whatever caused it to die has absolutely nothing to do with its capacity.

Some brands are more susceptible to problems versus other brands. Seagate has had a LOT of issues in the past 2-3 years and so therefore they buy out Samsung's hard drive division, which makes ROCK SOLID hard drives, so Seagate can bolster it's fading reputation. Some models of Western Digital have been having issues as well.

When it comes to hard drive longevity, it's mostly a crap shoot. Personally I swear by Samsung hard drives, some users prefer other brands. Do your homework and you'll see what I am saying is true.

Making superfluous statements such as "the time of the 320 gb is now over and we need to upgrade to something bigger because those poor 320s can't hold up anymore" just shows that you need to do more research and check various reviews.

Reaction score
The fact the HD is 320GB is not why it started to fail, it is more likely from being 4 years old and would still depend on amount of use and how often it is moved etc. A 120GB HD could easily last longer than 4 years and a 3TB drive could crash in 3 months. HDs fail, that's why we encourage regularly scheduled back-ups to a separate external HD.

Sorry for your HD loss but now you will have a nice fresh install not cluttered with all the old junk of programs long gone etc; hopefully it runs smoother, cleaner.

yes i was trying to let others know about it. 320 gbs are not easy to come by anymore with the advances weve had lately in the data storage dept. i'm simply making this post for other people out there who don't realize that the old 320 gb is no longer being produced in mass and its better to go with a more up to date harddrive even if it is bigger.

the electrical feedback factor doesn't help either. id had my comp have to deal with surges that were downright nasty.. and sadly. my seagate tera didn't live for much longer after the surge ( id limped it by for an extra three months then my comp REALLY screamed at me to replace it). id since then replaced it with a WD ( and to my chagrin found out that Western Digital has shock guard.. which sadly seagate does not.)

so check the status of your HDD health and then take it from there if you need to rebuild. if youve been exposed to power surges then expect problems because theyre going to happen.

Reaction score
Hard drives do die, some sooner than others. That's a fact of life anytime we deal with anything designed and built by man... period.

Your comment about a "certain size" hard drive being more susceptible to failure versus another size is totally without merit or evidence on your part. You're just assuming... you know what happens when one assumes. TM told you exactly how things are; ie, regardless of the size of the hard drive, whatever caused it to die has absolutely nothing to do with its capacity.

Some brands are more susceptible to problems versus other brands. Seagate has had a LOT of issues in the past 2-3 years and so therefore they buy out Samsung's hard drive division, which makes ROCK SOLID hard drives, so Seagate can bolster it's fading reputation. Some models of Western Digital have been having issues as well.

When it comes to hard drive longevity, it's mostly a crap shoot. Personally I swear by Samsung hard drives, some users prefer other brands. Do your homework and you'll see what I am saying is true.

Making superfluous statements such as "the time of the 320 gb is now over and we need to upgrade to something bigger because those poor 320s can't hold up anymore" just shows that you need to do more research and check various reviews.
yes things do die. and some of those dead things we have to replace are not easily replaced by the same thing as it once was.. Times change nibi and so do systems ,parts and components. i can't find a brand new 320 gb for my comp anymore. because theres no longer such a thing .
( not that id WANTED it. but i DID do a search for them and can only find secondhand if i'm lucky. the main companies just don't make the 320 gb anymore.for desktop comps. and laptop drives are useless unless youve a laptop or ps3. Good Point?)

my point is that youve gotta do what youve gotta do in order to deal with the mess you get stuck with.

MOD EDIT: last line was uncalled for and inappropriate so it has been removed. This thread is now closed. --TM

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question