Wireless USB print server for 64 bit?

Reaction score
Hi folks, I just bought a Dell Inspiron with 64-bit OS. I want to connect 2 usb printers to wireless network. compatibility checker only lists D-link DIR 320, but it looks like this only has one USB port.

Can anyone recommend a wireless usb print server that definitely works on 64-bit OS and will support 2 usb printers? (or suggest another solution?)

Many thanks.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
USB is a multiple use connection. You can daisy chain your printers onto the one USB port. You can hook up a 4 port USB hub and it should work fine.

A USB system has an asymmetric design, consisting of a host, a multitude of downstream USB ports, and multiple peripheral devices connected in a tiered-star topology. Additional USB hubs may be included in the tiers, allowing branching into a tree structure with up to five tier levels. A USB host may have multiple host controllers and each host controller may provide one or more USB ports. Up to 127 devices, including hub devices if present, may be connected to a single host controller.
USB devices are linked in series through hubs. There always exists one hub known as the root hub, which is built into the host controller.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Print servers are network devices and have nothing to do with 32 or 64-bit operating systems. If your printer has 64-bit drivers for your OS, that is what matters. Your OS then sends the print "job" out to an IP, or to a directly (not networked via a print server) connected printed.

And I am quite sure print servers, USB or otherwise, do not support daisy chain printers. One server to one printer, unless the server has more than one port. This is because the server is assigned a single IP for a specific printer - not printers.

The D-link DIR 320 is a wireless router that includes a print server, but again, only support for one USB connected printer. You need two print servers, like this, or you need one server and a printer with built in network (wireless or Ethernet) support. Or two printers with network support.

Reaction score
Thank you both. I did in fact try to daisy chain the USB and Digerati is right - it doesn't work for both. But I have since found that I can get an ethernet card for the laser printer so will use that instead.

Again, thank you both for your help though.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the follow up.

Ask a Question