Wireless connection problems

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I 'm trying to connect my netbook to my wireless home network but it won't recognise the security key. I have Windows 7 32 bit installed. I have successfully connected it to my sister's network which is WPA2 protected. However when I try to connect to my own d-link dsl 2680 router, it keeps telling me that the security key or passphrase is incorrect even though I am typing in exactly the right password. My router is also WPA2 protected but for some reason the netbook fails to connect. My other laptop and my PC have no problem connecting at all though. It's just the netbook that seems to be the problem. It will however connect with a cable and also if I change the router's security setting to WEP. However I don't really want to leave it as WEP as this is less secure than WPA2. I've tried changing the SSID and password but it still won't connect. Before I installed Windows 7 I had XP running on the netbook and then it connected no problem. I don't know why I can connect to my sister's network but not my own. Any suggestions? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any chance you have MAC addressing enabled? With MAC addressing any wireless device that wants to connect must have it's personal mac address stored in the mac address list.

Also what is the make/model of your netbook. Do you know if it is wireless B, G or N?

Your router only allows for 2.4GHz connections so if your netbook is actually newer it may be trying to connect Wireless-N at 5Ghz but still it should find it and negotiate 2.4.

From the Netbook you do "see" the network correct? It just refuses to connect?

Be sure to look for driver updates to your netbook wireless NIC and also you might check for firmware updates to your router (version 1.03EU).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi

No I don't think MAC addressing is enabled. As I said, two other computers can connect to my router no problem, and my netbook has connected to my sister's router no problem.

The netbook is a Hercules eCafé so not that new, although it has wireless N. When I had XP installed it had no problem connecting. It's just since I installed Windows 7 that it's having problems.

I can see the network in the list and can click connect. It then brings up the box to input the network key/password but then won't accept it. It keeps telling me that it's the wrong password (which it's not).

I tried to update the router firmware from the TalkTalk website but it told me I had the latest version (it's running version 1.14t)

I was offered and have installed a driver update for the Wireless card from Windows Update.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No I don't think MAC addressing is enabled. As I said, two other computers can connect to my router no problem, and my netbook has connected to my sister's router no problem.
OK, I only asked because it would explain it if your two computers are in the mac list but your netbook wasn't and then at your sister's she doesn't use mac addressing so it works there.

The netbook is a Hercules eCafé so not that new, although it has wireless N. When I had XP installed it had no problem connecting. It's just since I installed Windows 7 that it's having problems.
So it used to work until you went W7, ok that's helpful info - points to driver or W7 settings & since it works elsewhere I would think settings
I was offered and have installed a driver update for the Wireless card from Windows Update.
The ecafe comes with an update manager software, have you tried it to see if it says your drivers are all current for W7?

I tried to update the router firmware from the TalkTalk website but it told me I had the latest version (it's running version 1.14t)
excellent

I'll have to look around for more ideas, might have to delete the network and try again. And hopefully some others weigh in on this because I'm not networking expert.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update: Nothing that has been suggested works. The router doesn't allow you to select TKIP or AES, it just gives the option of WPA, WPA2 or both. I've tried all combinations possible, changing the security settings on the netbook as I go.

So to see if it was the router or the wireless card, I have plugged in my old BT Homehub router, and the netbook connects first time. It accepts the password and is connected via WPA2 using AES. No problems. So does this mean that my D-Link router is a bit dodgy?

Ask a Question