wireless connection help!

Reaction score
hi my name is Patrick and I just had a foreign exchange student come to my house and so we needed to set up a wireless connection in my house and so i did but i also have xbox live and now that he is using my wireless connetion its harder to connect to like rainbow six vages 2 online games or if i get in it just has alot of lag and my friend cant not hear me over xbox live i had my xbox next to my router and had it hardwired but it did not help when i changed to wireless i also got a better router a linksys by cisco wilreless-N gigabit router i have an older modum so i dont know if that needs to be undated and i have click not Comcast please help me if u can i have been trying to fix it for the past 3 weeks and i dont plan on spending alot of money thank you.

Reaction score

ok there it is i think its bad will a better modem help because i got a better router as a stated before but what i really want to know what do i need to do to be able to play xbox live without getting lag when i try to play a game online.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Truthfully I don't know the Internet Bandwidth requirement of the XBox.

I'm guessing you are experiencing lag now because you are sharing a slow DSL connection. It might be in your best interest to upgrade to a faster DSL connection if you want to play online games and share your connection at the same time. Your modem should handle faster speeds. Contact your local Internet Provider and see if you can upgrade to a faster connection.

Reaction score
DSL is a type of internet connection that shares your phone line with your home phone.
Is your modem not a DSL modem?
Do you have a cable modem instead?

Reaction score
You can still call your internet service provider to see if you can upgrade to a faster connection. That is if you feel you want a faster connection.

Reaction score
will if that will stop the lag in my games on xbox live then hell yea ill do it but i dont want to do it just to see no effect or change.

Reaction score
I tell you what you can try

Play the game without your exchange student online. While playing the game have the exchange student go online.

If you notice a difference with a shared internet connection then chances are you need a faster connection to keep up with both computers.

And if your exchange student does any major downloads then you might notice a difference regardless what speed your internet connection is.

Reaction score
ok ty for yours help i just need to upgrade to a faster internet connection.

Ask a Question