Windows password changed during update

Reaction score
When I turned on my computer this morning, it was.installing a windows update, took a rather long time. When I tried to login, it says the password is incorrect. This is the same password I use everyday, and I have tried to restart several times with same issue.

I tried to boot into safe mode, will not respond when pressing F8 (I can, however, go into the setup mode F12). Also tried to boot with my restore cd, gett error message.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
After closer inspection, when I input my password, it actually isn't wrong, I get the following: "The User Profile Service service failed the login. User profile cannot be loaded".
The word "service". Is listed twice- weird.

HELP!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you cannot get F8 (safemode) to work then you are extremely limited.

Most likely your registry has been corrupted and your logon is corrupt. If you have another administrator account then you could use it and attempt a system restore to an earlier time in hopes of getting back to a time when your registry was not damaged. If you never created a second user with administrator privileges then there is always the built-in hidden administrator account ... but again you would need to get in to safe mode to enable it (or since your account is damaged the admin account may be displayed in safemode by default even without you enabling it).

If you cannot get in at all then you are probably looking at a complete reinstall.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The word "service". Is listed twice- weird.
Weird - poor grammar structure, maybe - but not worrisome, malicious, or reason for concern.

The error reporting routine uses the format: "[applet name] service failed..." and in this case, the applet name is "User Profile Service".

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What make of computer?

Restart, and, whilst the computer is booting into windows, switch off the computer. Give it a 5 second pause and restart the computer. You should find it will go into the options windows where you can choose Safe mode.

Ask a Question