Windows File Explorer Bugging Issue

Reaction score
First off, I have performed a clean boot, then ran system restore, also performed all necessary cleanup including registry. I have Googled, and Googled and Googled with different phrasings of my issue. But to no avail I have yet to come up with an answer so here is hoping someone else has solved this. While it is not an operational issue, it is very much a distraction. It all started with in the last couple of days and the last thing I installed was "FireFox" browser which I have since uninstalled and then performed the above named procedures. When I open windows file explorer, and if I left-click and hold the vertical scroll bar for the right pane and drag to scroll an "info bar" popups displays the folder or file name as I scroll down. To me this is a real irritant. I will attach a screen capture that will show it. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That is how Windows Explorer functions and I cannot find any options to disable that Infotip. But I do know if you use the scroll wheel of the mouse rather than left-clicking, that those tips don't display.

Reaction score
Thank you TrainableMan for your input, however, this is something that just started. I have been using windows 7 for several years now and have never encountered this before. To me it is a nuisance and I want to be able to disable it. Even from day one from installing windows 7, this has never occurred until now. I will keep looking until I find an answer. :ciao:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Because I use my scroll wheel I never noticed it before but I tried it when you mentioned it and mine definitely does what you say now, as to whether it has always been that way since I first installed W7 or not I don't know. I have looked at the Windows updates for the last two months and I don't see anything that would likely cause this.

Reaction score
I am using a laptop so I don't use a separate mouse with scroll wheel. The touch pad I use only to move the cursor around and nothing else. Very simple and basic. All I know is that this condition just started in the last few days and the only thing I have installed lately is FireFox.

Reaction score
First off, I have performed a clean boot, then ran system restore, also performed all necessary cleanup including registry. I have Googled, and Googled and Googled with different phrasings of my issue. But to no avail I have yet to come up with an answer so here is hoping someone else has solved this. While it is not an operational issue, it is very much a distraction. It all started with in the last couple of days and the last thing I installed was "FireFox" browser which I have since uninstalled and then performed the above named procedures. When I open windows file explorer, and if I left-click and hold the vertical scroll bar for the right pane and drag to scroll an "info bar" popups displays the folder or file name as I scroll down. To me this is a real irritant. I will attach a screen capture that will show it. Any help appreciated.
Hi, I know this is an old thread but did you ever find a way of disabling the infotip? Today (after years of not having this) I suddenly got an infotip related to content and controlled by the scroll bar. I have not uploaded or changed any parameters at all, it seems to have arrived from nowhere. Having spent the best part of the day searching for a solution I have come across your post. Whilst this is mildly irritating when scrolling through folders, it is exasperating when scrolling through photos. I am a designer so my day is filled with scrolling through images. I have disabled every possibility from the registry including adding registry entries value 0. Nothing works. Help! Please....

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The only option I know of that might limit some of the infotips is in Folder Options, View Tab, uncheck the box next to "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items".

Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan, but this seems to be a handy and user-friendly infotip that microsoft thinks we need. It is incredibly irritating as it covers part of the photo and changes as you scroll, so your eye is constantly distracted by it. If I scroll with the wheel it doesn't happen, so I guess that's my only route. Strange that it has just appeared though, it must have been attached to an automatic update somewhere, despite the fact that ghost1951 brought it up in 2012, mine has just appeared and I have installed new packages and updates often in the last 2 years.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So changing the "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items" had no effect on the Infotip you are trying to get rid of? Because I tested it and it seemed to work on the ones I thought you meant. When I mouse over a picture it would show the details info like date created but if I uncheck that box then it no longer appears.

Last edited:
Reaction score
None at all I'm afraid. Plus, me creating REGEDIT lines like Enableballoontips (0) and disabling Showinfotip had no effect either. It's not a hovering infotip but when you pull up or down the scroll bar in WE. It does it with folder trees too but as the folders or documents tend to be listed to the left of the pane, this infotip is on the right and doesn't obliterate anything. In my humungous photo library I have the photos appearing as large or extra-large icons so the damned infotip is running over the right hand photos but giving the title of the far left one in every line as I scroll. Extraordinary not to be able to disable it. Were I to be a programmer I could probably write something to kill it, but I am a humble designer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a way to do it; I think you will have to use the mouse wheel to avoid it.

Reaction score
Yup, seems that way. Thanks for your time TrainableMan and if ANYONE OUT THERE reads this thread because they have the same problem and they find a solution, I thank you with all my heart to post it here.

Ask a Question