Organize my files and directories Windows Explorer

Reaction score
Hello,

I search a solution for organize the files list and the directory list how I want. The best would be the possibility to show directly the directory content for some directories. Do you now this ?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can sort Windows Explorer files/folders by any of the data columns but you cannot just drag files into any order you want and have them stay; that option was removed from Windows Explorer with W7.

Reaction score
You can sort Windows Explorer files/folders by any of the data columns but you cannot just drag files into any order you want and have them stay; that option was removed from Windows Explorer with W7.
It's the problem. I would like the capabilitiy to drag files into any order I want. And why not use separators in my folder or files list, like in my bookmarks in Firefox.
Does nobody know a tweak or software for make this ?

Thanks,

Timothée

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
THESE are the most popular alternatives for Windows Explorer. Maybe you can see if they do what you need?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never used any of them and I don't see where any mention that feature either. I'm afraid that option may be gone for good.

There is a rather brute force way that you can get files to sort as you wish in native Windows Explorer but it is a lot of work. With an NTFS hard drive you have multiple fields you can specify for each file, for example Category, Title, or Comments. Well in, say Comments, you could put numbers on every file; then in Windows Explorer you display that field and click on it as your "sort by" column. I suggest you number by 100 each time because then every time you want to move a file between two others you would have to set it's number between theirs. As I said quite tedious but if it's something you have to have then it may be your only option.

Reaction score
Hello,

Thank for your reply. This solution is too much work for me. Never mind ! I think however the Windows explorer archaic. I would like don't need to click on x directory levels for access to my files.
Do you not agree ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My opinion doesn't matter, Microsoft does whatever they want because they can.

Ask a Question