SOLVED Windows Fax and Scan routine has a bug (on my system)

Reaction score
I was just trying out Windows 7 Fax and Scan to help someone who has no graphics application to fetch a scanned photo into.

I opened the F & S application and scanned an A4 sheet of music. It gave me the picture at 150 dpi (my choice of resolution) and I then saved it to the Windows Scanned Docs folder. Then when I went to Print a copy to see how good it looked, the little blue cement mixer circle went round and round and the application crashed and couldn't print.

Same thing happened whether I used the Printer Icon or Print from File Menu.

It sent a request for a solution to MS but the details said AppCrash wfs.exe
StackHash_8729
Exception code C0000374 and the rest didn't really show anything that means much to me.
I closed the program and went back to good old Notepad and tested the printer and sure enough Printer worked fine, so it hadn't suddenly gone offline or anything like that. Just WF&Scan doesn't seem to be registering that I have a Canon Printer
It's properly installed on my windows system.

Any ideas where this "blocked printing" has its source?
--
Plado

Reaction score
Solved before anyone read this thread!
The blocked printing turned out to be interference in the printing process caused by my recent addition of Preton Ink Saver. It pauses all printing before going ahead with the task so you can choose how much ink to save on the document or picture and has a graduated scale to conserve ink.

It has never stopped a print process before but Windows Fax and Scan didn't like it getting in the way. So I temporarily disabled the Preton and tried the Scan print again and it worked fine. So it has to be that.

Maybe that will be useful to someone but I doubt it!

--
Plado

Ask a Question