Windows Email Application

Reaction score
I noticed windows7 doesn't have windows mail. Seems odd?
What are we to do about that? Just download Thunderbird or any suggestions
which is the best email client.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Millions of MS users are/were happy with OE. Windows Mail was only cosmetically different, now MS has decided tell us to get hosed. I hate Windows Live Mail, just like I hated Outlook.

Fortunately, Windows Mail can be ported into Windows 7 and it works.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Millions of MS users are/were happy with OE. Windows Mail was only cosmetically different, now MS has decided tell us to get hosed. I hate Windows Live Mail, just like I hated Outlook.

Fortunately, Windows Mail can be ported into Windows 7 and it works.
It is an argument which was once prevalent in all forums.
Putting aside the many other alternatives for the moment. Windows live is a little more than cosmetic, but, for curiosity, what do you find you like in OE, and particularly Windows mail, which is not available in Live?
The porting of Windows mail into 7 is a more tedious process than downloading and installing Windows live, and one wonders at the peresistence of those wishing to do it.

Fwiw. The live "suite" has some other attractive goodies in it, also.

Reaction score
It is an argument which was once prevalent in all forums.
Putting aside the many other alternatives for the moment. Windows live is a little more than cosmetic, but, for curiosity, what do you find you like in OE, and particularly Windows mail, which is not available in Live?
The porting of Windows mail into 7 is a more tedious process than downloading and installing Windows live, and one wonders at the peresistence of those wishing to do it.

Fwiw. The live "suite" has some other attractive goodies in it, also.
Well, you misread my post. I said Windows Mail, available in Vista, is basically only cosmetically different from OE.

You know what, it doesn't matter why I want OE/Windows Mail. The fact that I do should be sufficient. I'm tired of corporate America telling me what I need, when they should be asking what I want.

I'll bet you voted for Obama!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry if I upset you. Maybe badly worded. I can see now you compared OE to Windows Mail. My query was out of interest. It is interesting to see other points of view, good or bad. I am sorry you chose not to elaborate. Your statement that you "hated" Windows live mail, prompted my query. Sorry again.

Off topic.
LOL. I am not American. I know little about Obama. Got to be better than the last Guy?

Reaction score
Well, you misread my post. I said Windows Mail, available in Vista, is basically only cosmetically different from OE.
I didn't read anything about Vista in the post

You know what, it doesn't matter why I want OE/Windows Mail. The fact that I do should be sufficient. I'm tired of corporate America telling me what I need, when they should be asking what I want.
I agree with you here - Software vender's are always pushing what they thing is needed instead of asking. The fact that software is either sold or its not sold does not tell the vender's anything about whether their apps are liked or disliked.

I'll bet you voted for Obama!
Lets not go there
Please you are only asking for someone to trash this forum when you post these things. I will ask the mods to suspend anyone that post against this comment

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
" agree with you here - Software vender's are always pushing what they think is needed instead of asking. "

I agree. We are talking about software in general. But, as we are aware, in Windows 7 MS have taken the option of not recommending, or offering, any Email in the new OS. You have to have a slightly better than user interest to know that the two alternatives mentioned here (porting Mail, or downloading Live mail) are even available. Not really pushy enough!

Reaction score
When going back to topic:

When I switched to 7, I gave up on MS Office, so I downloaded OOo (which I already used), and gave Thunderbird a try. it exceeded expectations, that's for sure. Very good, I would recommended it. Cleaner and easier to use than Outlook. Plus, the add-ons are great, and because it's all from Mozilla it's bug, ad/mal-ware and virus free.

Thunderbird FTW! :lol:

Reaction score
Many people use free email account that are offered online. Many of these accounts don't offer POP3 unless purchased. Without POP3 these Email programs are useless.

I can't help but think this is one of the reasons an Email option has been removed from the OS and offered as a download. However I don't see why it has to be packaged in with the other bloatware apps that I never use.

I mean come on how difficult is it to offer Windows Mail as a download by itself. They do this with Internet Explorer why not Windows Mail. Next thing you know Internet Explorer will only be available in the Windows Live download.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is a trick you can try to get the stand alone mail exe.
Go to
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/

Click the "Download" icon and then cancel it. You will then be offered the WLmail download.

I believe that maybe they thought Windows Mail was so like a rebadged OE, that they dropped it. In fact, if you browse somewhere way back, you will find that it was OE 6. It was actually, in some ways, a step down from OE 5. For example, In OE, you could choose between POP3, IMAP, and HTTP mail server types; the latter was used for Web mail accounts. In Windows Mail, that last option was eliminated. Only POP3 and IMAP accounts were supported.
Windows Mail had some features that made it a litle safer than OE.
It had the Junk Mail filter, as found in Microsoft Outlook. (but not to IMAP accounts). It also introduced the Phishing filter.

Windows Live Mail works, by design, fualtlessly with Live Hotmail and MSN email services. It also uses any POP3 or IMAP email account as was the case with Windows Mail. Windows Live Mail can, with ease of setup, access two or more email accounts simultaneously, of any nature. (They do not need to be "live" accounts)"

" Next thing you know Internet Explorer will only be available in the Windows Live download. " Getting closer to reality even as we speak!!!!

Reaction score
When you download the Windows Live pack, you can chose what to install, i.e. only Windows mail if you want.

Ask a Question