Windows 8 USB 3.0 Support Should Be Backported to Windows 7 via SP2

JMH

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As Microsoft announced USB 3.0 support in Windows 8, I don’t think I was the only one thinking: “But what about Windows 7?”

The promise from Microsoft is that all over 10 billion USB devices will work with USB 3.0 when connected to Windows 8 computers.

Backwards compatibility covers compatibility with current full, low, and high speed devices down to the plugs, revealed Dennis Flanagan, the Director of Program Management for the Devices and Networking group.

“Perhaps the most important aspect of USB 3.0 is the expectation that customers have of USB: it’s just USB3 so it should just work, right? Each and every USB device, low, full, high, and SuperSpeed, has to work in Windows 8. That's our focus while also delivering the most robust and reliable USB stack,” Flanagan stated.

At the same time, users will undoubtedly want to plug USB 3.0 devices into machines running Windows 7 and earlier, and have the technologies work seamlessly together.
Windows 8 USB 3.0 Support Should Be Backported to Windows 7 via SP2 - Softpedia

Reaction score
Umm, I already have USB3 running on my MoBo so I'm assuming 7 already can handle it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You're right Mychael, Windows 7 Update will automatically find the driver for it when needed.

Reaction score
Umm, I already have USB3 running on my MoBo so I'm assuming 7 already can handle it.
Which you had to download and install a driver for. Windows 7 SP2 and Windows 8 will obviate this need.

Reaction score
Which you had to download and install a driver for. Windows 7 SP2 and Windows 8 will obviate this need.
Actually no, at least not as I recall, my MoBo installation disk had it all on it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I believe what Thrax meant is that the USB 3.0 driver is not a native Microsoft driver, such as the USB 2.0 driver.

It's the USB 3.0 chipset makers that are supplying the driver for now, if I'm not mistaken.

From Wikipedia:
Manufacturers of USB 3.0 host controllers include, but are not limited to, Renesas Electronics, Fresco Logic, Asmedia, Etron, VIA Technologies, Texas Instruments, NEC and Nvidia. As of November 2010, Renesas is the only company to have passed USB-IF certification, although motherboards for Intel's Sandy Bridge processors have been seen with Asmedia and Etron host controllers. On October 28, 2010 Hewlett-Packard released the HP Envy 17 3D featuring a Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller several months before some of their competitors. AMD is working with Renesas to add its USB 3.0 implementation into its chipsets for its 2011 platforms. At CES2011 Toshiba unveiled a laptop called "Toshiba Qosmio X500" that included USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0, and a new series of Sony VAIO laptops that will include USB 3.0. As of April 2011 the Inspiron and Dell XPS series are available with USB 3.0 ports.
Apple Inc. is the only major computer manufacturer without USB 3.0 equipped computers at August 2011, although Mac Pro owners can get USB 3.0 ports by adding an appropriate third-party PCIe card to their Mac. Apple are trying to steer their customers towards the Thunderbolt (interface) instead.

Drivers are under development for Windows 7, but support was not included with the initial release of the operating system.[12] However, drivers are available for Windows through manufacturer websites.

Last edited:
Reaction score
True, although I guess as only current MoBo can run USB3.0 and all come with installation disk then the point is moot as any new MB upgrade will by virtue of the setup disk be putting in USB 3.0 drivers anyway.

Reaction score
Windows 8 will support every hardware released before the launch of it.

Ask a Question