Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool Help...

Reaction score
Ok, well, because of a lot of problems utilizing the Digital Download River ISOs (burning them fails because my DVD-drive is messed up)...I decided to resort to Microsoft's claimed solution...the almighty USB Download Tool.

Basically, this tool is supposed to let me boot up a Windows 7 install from my USB stick. Well, I bought a 4gb USB stick...and....the damn Tool does not work.

After I select a working ISO (Checksum/HD5 is fine)--I try to install it from my clean USB drive...and I get this message once it starts "Copying files...": "We were unable to copy your files. Please check your USB device and the selected ISO file and try again."

Well...that message certainly isn't clear. My USB works fine for other purposes on this computer and my laptop. The ISO MD5 ID is fine...

Any suggestions or help?

Reaction score
Hi hicisred

I successfully created a bootable USB using the information on this page - How To Make Bootable USB
Hi, the link you provided was invalid.

I used this link to procure my tool and all the necessary information: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool?err=t5#at5

However, it does not provide many FAQ or Troubleshooting questions--nor does it offer anywhere for me to direct my concerns towards.

I have all of the necessary updates for the tool, fyi.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I posted the wrong link. That was a local link I have saved to my computer. There is no wonder why it did not work. I have corrected the link now.

Here is the link as well as above
http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/
Hi, thanks for the link--I already looked at that before, however.

Unfortunately, I have Windows XP and that link only works for Vista users. IE: When I get to the CMD Prompt screen and try LIST DISK it does not show my USB drive, only my hard drive. That is a Windows XP problem.

Reaction score
Ouch - I wasn't thinking about you having XP

Here is another idea from one of the other Moderators(Thrax) we have here.
Install Windows 7 from USB

Awesome guide. I got as far as Step 3 and this little gem popped up:

This command can only be used to copy the bootable bits from an ISO that matches the instruction set of the current Windows installation. Users running 32-bit copies of Windows can only execute this command if a 32-bit Windows 7 ISO is mounted; the same is true for 64-bit Windows 7 ISOs which require a 64-bit OS to be running.

If you’re running a 32-bit copy Windows and want to configure a Windows 7 x64 flash drive, repeat steps 1-3 with a 32-bit Windows 7 ISO, then mount a 64-bit ISO for step 4.

Anyways, well I decided to try the Microsoft 7 USB tool after this...(since I had formatted my USB drive already--the rest of the steps are just transferring data, I believe). Currently the Microsoft tool is working and it is copying files. I will look around for a way to configure my BIOS and then hopefully get W7 installed. Thanks a lot for the help so far and I hope this all works.

Reaction score
Well the Microsoft tool did not work. I had to download a 32-bit ISO and do make sure the bootsect worked before I copied my 64 bit files to the USB....

Everyone worked out perfectly afterward. I got stuck in the Windows 7 download and restart phase for a while because I forgot that my USB drive was first priority--so it kept taking me back to the initial installation. Well, popped out the USB and everything went smoothly and perfectly.

Right now I have most of my major programs queued up for downloading. My computer actually recognizes my 6gb of ram now (fun stuff); I can definitely tell that my Dual Cores are actually being taken advantage of now. I can't wait to upgrade to a Quad Core. Everything seems to be going good.

Thanks for the guide and for the help sir.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Unless you do a ton of video editing and processing plus intense Photoshop and multiple applications open, you'll probably not need a quad core processor.

That's just my opinion though! ;-)

Ask a Question