Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought this list of keyboard shortcuts from "The Lazy Admin" might be useful :) I didn't know half of these :eek:

1. WIN + T – With the new taskbar and the way apps dock there, this shortcut will open the preview of each of the apps running in the taskbar. No need to hover the mouse over the taskbar any more!
  2. Ctrl + Shift – This shortcut will launch any application that is docked on your taskbar with elevated privileges
  3. WIN + Space – This shortcut will make all windows transparent and allow you to see the desktop. Release it and return back to the current window.
  4. WIN + P – Need to connect to a projector or external monitor on your notebook? This shortcut will do the trick! You can also use WIN + X to open the Mobility Center and do it from there too.
  5. WIN + Home – Got a cluttered desktop? This shortcut will minimize all the windows on the desktop with the exception of the active one.
  6. WIN + Arrows – There are a load of shortcuts that utilize the arrows. WIN + Right Arrow will dock the windows to the right while WIN + Left Arrow will dock it to the left. WIN + Up Arrow will maximize a window while WIN + Down Arrow will minimize it.
  7. WIN + Shift + Arrow – In conjunction with #6 once you have the windows docked you can move them to other monitors in a multi monitor display. WIN + Shift + Right Arrow will move it to the right. I think you can figure out what the Left Arrow does!
  8. WIN + +/- - OK I know I said seven but this one is cool too. WIN + + will zoom in and WIN + - zooms out!

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
"Super Special Awesome!"
-Dan Green, Creator of Yu-Gi-Oh the abridged series

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Found another page with even more :)

http://brandonlive.com/2009/01/10/windows-7-beta-hotkey-cheat-sheet/

General
Win+Up Maximize
Win+Down Restore / Minimize
Win+Left Snap to left
Win+Right Snap to right
Win+Shift+Left Jump to left monitor
Win+Shift+Right Jump to right monitor
Win+Home Minimize / Restore all other windows
Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry
Pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around.
Win+Shift+T cycles backwards.
Win+Space Peek at the desktop
Win+G Bring gadgets to the top of the Z-order
Win+P External display options (mirror, extend desktop, etc)
Win+X Mobility Center (same as Vista, but still handy!)
Win+#
(# = a number key) Launches a new instance of the application in the Nth slot on the taskbar.
Example: Win+1 launches first pinned app, Win+2 launches second, etc.
Win + +
Win + -
(plus or minus key) Zoom in or out.

Explorer
Alt+P Show/hide Preview Pane

Taskbar modifiers
Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance
Middle click on icon Open a new instance
Ctrl + Shift + Click on icon Open a new instance with Admin privileges
Shift + Right-click on icon Show window menu (Restore / Minimize / Move / etc)
Note: Normally you can just right-click on the window thumbnail to get this menu
Shift + Right-click on grouped icon Menu with Restore All / Minimize All / Close All, etc.
Ctrl + Click on grouped icon Cycle between the windows (or tabs) in the group

Ask a Question