Windows 7 in Virtual Box

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!!

I installed my Win 7 Beta OS using Virtual Box. To to this, I played an excellent video on Youtoube, [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]p49C1Os90Zc[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - Installing Windows 7 on Virtual Box Part 1[/ame], hitting pause as needed to stop the video to repeat the steps I just viewed, and play to resume as I did the same things as shown in the video.

Windows 7 was installed and finally running. However, inside the Virtual Box window, I could not access the task bar. I could not manipulate the mouse cursor outside the inner boundaries of the window to get to the VB menu. I later realized that the message I received about using the host key (Ctrl-R) might have helped me.

I finally restarted windows Vista and restarted Virtual Box, but it wanted to reinstall Windows 7 so I terminated it.

Here’s where I need help!!!

[FONT=&quot]How do I use Windows 7 in Virtual PC mode? Do I have to use Virtual Box to reinstall Windows 7 each time I want to use it in Virtual PC mode? Can someone please explain this part to me?[/FONT]

Reaction score
OK, maybe I jumped the gun. I also just found this video,
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]FSyqlXEleMQ[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - How to dual-boot Windows 7 BETA on a Vista computer[/ame]
That explains how to set up dual boots with Windows 7 or other OS. This looks simpler. Maybe this is what I will do.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't need to reinstall Windows 7 each time you restart Virtual Box, what I suspect happened is that you still have the ISO file mounted as the first boot device. If you unmount the virtual CD, then it will boot into the usual Windows 7 (the same as it was last time). Dual Booting is more complicated, so I'd try the VirtualBox method first :)

Reaction score
Ian,
I dual boot xp and 7. Win 7 setup the screen to choose which to boot into.
Simple!!!!!!

Reaction score
I used GPARTED to squeeze VP to make a partition for Win 7. As a result, the Win 7 partition is seen as Drive D in XP. A good way to use a file in both OSs.

Ask a Question