Windows 7 Explorer.exe does not work

Reaction score
Windows 7 Explorer.exe does not work at all it will crash when I try to open it. Yes I saw the Reg key del fix, that Reg key is not even in the Reg. Next cannot open the mmc to try the other fix. The MMC will not open it fails.

It did not stop working it has never worked. The other sites state that the fix works no it does not work.

I cannot use or see the file system because explorer.exe never opens. It says that it is restarting windows explorer and it never work.
Also My Event viewr does not work error that it cannot open the MMC so I cant even check to see or get a report. Next If try to use Computer to view the C: drive etc that hangs and then crash!

Here is a what takes place I try to open Computer I get the error "Windows Explorer has stopped working" "Windows explorer is restarting" This means that have never seen the C: drive or any of the files system folders (icons) another way of saying it I cannot view the folder list or any of the folders period. It have never seen them due to the Crash everytime I try to use the WIndows Explorer.exe

If it helps I could not get this ISO to boot So I installed it on an F:drive and not C:
The OS is on the F:drive not the C: but I dont think that would bomb it but that is just an FYI

Using build 7048.winmain.090219-185
Gateway
Amd 800mz I gig Mem

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site ebizwizz :ciao:

Has it worked at any point since you installed it?

Unless you've got lots of data that you don't want to reload, I'd do a re-install and start from fresh. I know that's probably what you don't want to hear, but if you've already tried those two fixes then it's going to be hard to diagnose without being able to see the event viewer log. :(

Reaction score
Welcome to the site ebizwizz :ciao:

Has it worked at any point since you installed it?

Unless you've got lots of data that you don't want to reload, I'd do a re-install and start from fresh. I know that's probably what you don't want to hear, but if you've already tried those two fixes then it's going to be hard to diagnose without being able to see the event viewer log. :(
First I would like to say thank you!

I have reinstalled 4 times on two diff systems
Two totally Diff computers same issue.
So you are saying no one has had this issue.
I hate to lead the witness but i wonder if you are trying to say that the Image (ISO) is bad?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I hate to lead the witness but i wonder if you are trying to say that the Image (ISO) is bad?
It could be, as it seem to be quite a co-incidence that it has happened on two different PCs (unless it's something else in common with both installs, such as a 3rd party application).

There are newer builds of Windows 7 now available, so it might be worth trying one of those out (7057 is very popular) and see if you have more luck :)

Reaction score
Thank you so very much I am so glad that you are a professional. I will scap this build and try the one you placed in the last reply. I am in password hell now. I have passwords to unlock forgotten passwords and my brain has a password to access the workstation used to hold the file that has a password the contains most of my passwords. I think I am about to passout! Peace and blessings I am off to Farm my Servers and Decom my Pix firewall. Thanks so much!

Reaction score
I have experienced the same issue. Have used two different PCs as well installing from scratch and now explorer hangs on me whenever i right click on something. There has to be some kind of fix out there without having to re-install.

Ask a Question