SOLVED Windows 7 64bit not waking up

Reaction score
I have had this sorted out OK for sometime but just lately have been having trouble..
usually next morning when I move the mouse..
Sometimes nothing happens windows does not wake up..do a restart and everything then appears to be ok
OR windows goes to the 'click to log on' and then I get a Black Screen and leaving it for 1/2 hour make no difference so.. reboot.
Changes to my sys. have been another Video card (ATI) to connect by HDMI a Smart TV and Adobe Reader 10
Tried the following: Changed the video card to a NVidia ..made no difference
Am about to install a backup prior to this problem and prior to installing Adobe Reader 10 thinking this maybe the problem??
I have had previous problems with earlier Ver. of Adobe Reader but some years ago.??..
Has anyone any ideas??
Thankyou,
ronpeck

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So your sleep and/or hibernate functions used to work and now they don't since you added another video card and Adobe Reader? For now I will ignore Adobe for the more likely.

So do you still have the Gigabyte HD 5000 series card (from your specs) in the machine too or did you swap it out (or is this a different machine)? What is the model ATI card? Some older ATI cards do not support W7 features.

Also have you tried turning the monitor of and back on? In other words, are you definitely sure it is the computer that isn't waking up or could it be the monitor?

Reaction score
So your sleep and/or hibernate functions used to work and now they don't since you added another video card and Adobe Reader? For now I will ignore Adobe for the more likely.

So do you still have the Gigabyte HD 5000 series card (from your specs) in the machine too or did you swap it out (or is this a different machine)? What is the model ATI card? Some older ATI cards do not support W7 features.

Also have you tried turning the monitor of and back on? In other words, are you definitely sure it is the computer that isn't waking up or could it be the monitor?
Thanks for your reply. I will try to answer everything.
First off I leave my computer on 24/7..the modem is left on 24/7 also for VOIP calls but unplugged from the computer and only connected when I want to use the Internet..After the morning glitch sleep and waking seems to work Ok..Weird!!
Video card was GeForce 8800 worked fine but it does not have an HDMI outlet for the new TV so changed it to ATI Radeon HD 5760..then problems so changed to Gigabyte NVIDA GT440 series and am still having the same problems somewhere around the same time Installed Adobe Reader and uninstalled Foxit Reader ( had trouble downloading from some sites with Foxit!!) so it also occurs to me that Adobe might be the trouble so before going back to an earlier Backup I have just uninstalled Adobe and installed the latest Foxit Ver 5 and will see what happens tomorrow morning!!
Thanks again and if anything occurs to you please let me know.
Regards,
ronpeck

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I honestly don't think it will be Adobe; they can be a pain in the but but it affecting sleep isn't something I ever heard of. But I guess you will let us know tomorrow.

Reaction score
Computer wont Resume

Adobe removed Foxit reader installed.....Same problem this morning would not resume computer went to the log in screen then black screen.. pressed buttons turned the monitor on and off etc.. no luck...real mystery!!.. mind you it will be Ok for the rest of the day sleeping and then waking up OK.. maybe it's like me dose not like getting out of bed these cold mornings!!!
Will try diconnecting the HDMI cable to the TV today and see if that has any bearing.
Thank anyway for your interest,
ronpeck

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some possibilities to consider...

Control Panel \ Power Options ... Change Plan Settings ... Change Advanced Power Settings, down under sleep try disabling Hybrid Sleep and under Hard Disk ... Turn off hard disk ... NEVER

Control Panel \ Device Manager ... Your Mouse and your keyboard check the Power Management tab and make sure "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked. And while you are there, I don't think this is affects your current situation but, under network adapter I always uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (only useful if you are hard-wired, not wireless).

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Just to check, have you made sure to install the latest chipset and appropriate graphics drivers for your machine?

Reaction score
Computer not resuming from sleep

Hey!! maybe good news.. computer went past the login and is working just fine .. the only thing I did was to remove the HDMI lead from the Video card (to the Smart TV). This is no guarantee that all is fixed yet but I am hopefull and also mystified as to why it could have bearing.
Thanks all will keep you posted,
ronpeck

Reaction score
Windows 7 not resuming after sleep

Hey!! All.
Well windows again woke up this morning, that make two mornings straight and if it is again OK tomorrow morning I will log it as fixed..
Thinking about the HDMI connection..I only put in a different video card to hook up the Smart TV..the Original card only had two DVI oulets (monitor is DVI) and the TV needed HDMI..I have noticed that the card insists that the TV is monitor No.1 and my Asus monitor is No.2.. I originally tried to correct this without success and perhaps this might be the reason.. I did try turning on the TV when the screen went black on my monitor but to no avail.. I did not try resuming while the TV was turned on!!
Will probibly try this at a later date..
Well if this is what the trouble has been maybe my problem and solution might help someone else as these Smart TV's are becoming more popular..
Thanks all,
ronpeck

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you right-click on an empty spot on your desktop you can choose "Screen Resolution". In this menu you can pick which monitor is your main display. Try choosing your ASUS as primary.

Reaction score
Windows7 not resuming in mornings

Hey! All,
Computer woke again OK the morning, so it looks like this problem is fixed..
Thanks for your comments re monitor order.. but I have been all through that and was unable to make it change.. also I was told by a supplier that most video cards appear to give prefrence to the HDMI connection when it is used and put it as Monitor 1..weird!!..But then I was aware from previously connecting two monitors to two DVI connections on a Video Card That I had to change the connection because I was unable to change the order of the Monitors in Windows..
Thanks all,
ronpeck:)

Ask a Question