windows 7 64 bit problem

Reaction score
Hi,
i had installed windows 7 (RC candidate build 7100)on my Dell studio 1555 laptop which had windows sp1 32 bit home premium. I had opted for clean install. My problem is that it worked like a dream for almost 3 weeks . But after a normal shut down now comp won't boot,it just freezes when the animated windows logo comes.

Upon running diagnostics test provided by dell the SATA drive I found that didn't had any problem(i passe d all the tests like SMART longs self test,seek test,verify test), But in recovery console or by reinserting DVD I could not find intial partition where I had installed OS.(The reserved partition was visible).Neither I was able to use the factory settings command to restore it to factory settings.

After this I tried loading vista 32 bit (home premium) in its console I could see the partition where I had installed my OS , but it could not be formatted or partitioned .It was asking for drivers (it was shown as unallocated drive completely empty)

Any solutions....??
(Ijust want my laptop up and running again, if data i not lost great, but for me time is of essence)
plz reply asap...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi siddsa,

Try disabling AHCI in the Disk Controller in Bios , change it to to IDE or ATA , then try booting the Vista dvd.

You may have better luck trying with the 7 dvd.

Reaction score
Hi siddsa,

Try disabling AHCI in the Disk Controller in Bios , change it to to IDE or ATA , then try booting the Vista dvd.

You may have better luck trying with the 7 dvd.
thanks for ur reply siw2
but it didn't help...
upon more browsing i have found that partiotion magic is in compatiable with windows 7. The day before windows 7 crashed i had installed and ran partition magic.
I believe it can be of problem.
Any suggestions..?

Reaction score
Ah. That is almost certainly the problem.

The best thing is to delete that 7 partition and start again. ( Not using partition Magic, obviously)

Strange you could not use the partitioning tools on the Vista
dvd.

Try booting the 7 dvd - select languauge and keyboard- click Install Now - when you get to the screen showing the partitions - click Drive Options (advanced) .

From there you should be able to delete, and then recreate the 7 partition and reinstall onto it..

Reaction score
thanks again for ur reply SIW2...
I have already tried wat u v suggested but the problem is that now that partition is unrecognised by windows and not even being shown in when i try to install windows 7,it becomes visible only when i try to install windows vista (home premium 32 bit)where it is shown as unallocated free space,but still i am not being able to format or delete it.It says that I need to load drivers.

Now I m confused as which drivers to loa i tried DiscWizard.exe by seagate but it didn't ran saying that it cant find supported subsystem(same as when i tried to run PCrestore provided by dell to restore to factory settings)

Now my question is which drivers to load on the partition.The type of file needed (as shown in the browser window is system information).
Or anu other way of reviving the HDD...?
Thanks again for ur patience and help...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Partition Magic

I use this a great deal along with Acronis 10 for backup and configureing Hd's.. Did you make the floppy rescue disks for Partition Magic?? if you have these or even if you can borrow them from somone ( will usually work on another machine) put these in and boot up delete all partitions and create a new partition. then try the new install of your operating sys.another way is if you can get hold of an acronis rescue disk along with a acronis backup hard drive file and install this on your computer ( these file will install on any computer).. this will quite often fix a stubborn Hd...I do recomend to anyone tying new programs or new OS's to make frequent backups, several a day if need be!!. I know it is a bit late this time but there will always be a next time. Good Luck:)

Reaction score
Partition Magic is not compatible with NT6 new partitioning rules.

If the HD is partitioned before installing NT6 o/s, it will accept that and you shouldn't have any problems.

Using partition Magic after you have installed vista/7 is where you get into difficulty.

Ask a Question