Window 7 - Quick Launch, Option Toolbar, Hotkey

Reaction score
Hey Now,

Window 7, Quick Launch, Task Bar Toolbar Option

Is it true the registry hack is the only way to view Quick Launch?
Desktop Shortcut keys / hotkeys were great with the window button on the quick launch for Vista. Example Win button + 2 would launch the second shortcut icon.

Thanks -

W7 Fan,
Catto

Reaction score
Have you tried just dropping a shortcut onto the left side of the Taskbar, along with IE etc?
Worked for me, although it's not quite the quick launch bar of XP!

Reaction score
I just posted this in another in the above topic:

Tips & tricks to bring back the old look:

There are many ways to tweak Windows, but you'll never get the Classic Start menu back unless you edit the shell32.dll file with a resource editor (Dangerous territory)

Here is a small sampling:
Right click the taskbar and choose properties.
Check "Use Small Icons"
Taskbar Buttons: "Never Combine"

Credit to Tim Sneath for this one:
For those of how how would like to bring back the Quick Launch feature,
Tim Sneath : The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets
http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2...7-secrets.aspx

If you'd like it back, I've slightly modified his to make it easier.
Right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars > New Toolbar
In the folder selection dialog, choose the Browse folder and navigate to::
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et Explorer\Quick Launch
Select that folder and now you have the Quick Launch bar

Turn off the "lock the taskbar" setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that "Show text" and "Show title" are disabled and the view is set to "small icons". Use the dividers to rearrange the toolbar ordering to choice, and then lock the taskbar again
One problem, it disappears if you uncheck it. I'm working on that one.

You can also bring back the switch between windows feature by navigating to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et Explorer\Quick Launch

Right-click on the switch between windows shortcut and drag it to the Quick Launch bar and choose copy here, You now have the same features as Vista. Open a bunch of windows, then choose switch between windows. Pretty cool!:cool:

Also, Sysinternals (now Microsoft) has an excellent freeware utility called desktops, which gives you four desktop (like Linux, yes).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...c5a693683.aspx

Another must have utility is Sysinternals Autoruns.This a an extremely powerful tool. You can download it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

A "hidden" feature in Windows 7. Go to Start > Run, and type optionalfeatures. I think you'll be amazed at what's here.

Ask a Question