Quick help about Windows 7

Reaction score
Guys, I'm buying a new computer in couple days, new Windows too
It's going to be Windows 7 Ultimate and I have a question.
Should I get 32Bit or 64Bit? Cause I know 64Bit is twice faster but my uncle says that
some programs and drivers are still not working properly on 64Bit and that there are not
many programs for it, that it's not stable etc..
When I include all stuff together I don't know what should I do cause he forces me to
buy 32Bit.
Please give me you opinion and a good advice :)

Thank you

Reaction score
your uncle is right there are still programs that dont work with 64 bit.... I.E. adobe flash player does not have a 64 bit player ( only in beta)

Reaction score
Yea, but how long will it take for new programs to be made for 64bit ?

Reaction score
Hi GzMoon - Welcome to w7forums

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit installed with 32-Bit applications. I am patiently waiting for the 64-Bit applications. Many people will not have any problems getting their 32-Bit applications to work on Windows 64-Bit.

64-Bit is not much if any faster than 32-Bit at the moment. Check all your scanners and printers for Win7 or Vista 64-Bit drivers. If all your hardware has 64-Bit drivers, that should answer your question for you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have apparently very good luck with 32 bit applications. About 99% of them work my x64 Windows 7. I have Office 2010 Beta 32 bit and it's real fast.

Run Windows 7 Upgrade adviser and see what programs you may have problems with.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The point being made here, Gzmoon, is that most principal programs are happy to run in a 64Bit Os, and you can sit and wait, where needed, for the 64Bit release to arrive. You will probably have to pay again for the 64 Bit, when that happens, so you could consider alternatives, either already in 64Bit, or in 32Bit compatible state.
64Bit is the way forward, and it is by far better to start now, when you have the opportunity.
Like Nibiru, I have, so far, not found any essential programs, which will not run in the 64Bit OS. But it would be a good idea to check your computer for driver compatibility before going further.Microsoft have a program to do this for you.
sdmnysimon's comment may be a little misleading. Flash is only implicated with your browser, not the OS. Windows 7 64Bit comes with the 64 and 32 Bit browsers. Flash runs in the latter, which is the default after installation.

Reaction score
Are you going to build or buy retail? If your going the retail route, check your area retail stores. They are pushing the 64 bit systems and most are not ordering any new 32 bit systems, just what they have left in stock. If you are going to build you have the option to go either way and build it to suite your needs. Which is what I recommend. Like every one else here that has responded to this post, 64 bit it the future and it's only going to get better. The big difference between the two systems is that you can install a lot more RAM into a system where as the 32 bit your limited to a maximum of 4 gigs, which the system will only use up to 3.0 to 3.5 gigs. This is because of it's built in limitations of the OS. Best of luck and let us know what route you ended up going with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I told my uncle before even making this thread that 64Bit is just going to get better and better and that I should just sit and wait cause that is the future. Well, I have a slow computer which I bought from my own money when I Was 12 years old and now I'm 18. I live in a country where it's really pro to get Original Windows, off all my friends that I know just one has the original Windows and it's Vista Home Premium. To be honest you guys helped me a lot, and I think that will go for 64Bit
@Bassfisher6522 I have a copy of normal XP SP 2, and I'm buying a new computer with W7 64bit or 32Bit. Indeed 64Bit is the way forward.
So that is why I'm getting it in 64Bit version.
@ Devahc can you please tell me the name or link for the Microsoft program you told be about

Reaction score
Thanks Bassfisher, Windows Upgrade Advisor would be the link. However if you are looking to buy a new computer that link would not be relavant to your needs. That link is for checking if your current computer will take the Windows 7 installation.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Guys, I'm buying a new computer in couple days, new Windows too
It's going to be Windows 7 Ultimate and I have a question.
Should I get 32Bit or 64Bit? Cause I know 64Bit is twice faster but my uncle says that
some programs and drivers are still not working properly on 64Bit and that there are not
many programs for it, that it's not stable etc..
When I include all stuff together I don't know what should I do cause he forces me to
buy 32Bit.
Please give me you opinion and a good advice :)

Thank you
GzMoon, welcome to the forum! 64 bit is the way to go. While you do still have to use many 32 bit programs at this time, that will be changing with the next release of Windows. 32 bit will no longer be an option. And I'm sure that you expect your new computer to last a while, so don't get stuck with something that you won't be able to give away in a few short years. While 2 and 3GB 64 bit systems are no faster than 2 and 3GB 32 bit ones, once you reach 4GB, you begin to pull away from the pack. Web browsing is faster, video clips load much faster, you can have more programs running without slowing down to a crawl. 4GB RAM is considered by many to be the "sweet spot", a few uses 6GB, but 4GB is the norm, which is plenty. And to get all of this great performance, 64 bit is the only way to do it. And you don't have to spend a fortune to get it. $600 to $750 ought to get you a really nice one, possibly less, if it's on sale. Happy shopping, GzMoon! Let us know how things turn out for you.:)

Reaction score
catilley we can not know for sure the next OS will not be 32-Bit. It's highly possible but we will not know for sure until we start to hear things about the next OS. 64-Bit has got to gain allot of ground before that will take place.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
As c_c states, it is not sure if the next release of Windows will be with a 32bit option. M$ hasn't stated and there is some speculation but nothing definite for sure.

With that said, x64 is gaining ground all the time. All CPUs and other hardware are x64 compatible now. Get on the bandwagon now and use the x64 Windows 7. It's faster and is quite compatible with nearly all x86 software.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You may have a point there, but what is the next generation of 32 bit Windows OS's going to run on? Antiquated hardware that cannot possibly support it? Except for a few overstocks, and netbooks, I've yet to see a 32 bit computer on display anywhere since Windows 7 was released. That's going to put the newest 32 bit computers on the market at least 3 or 4 years old. And if a 32 bit OS was released, that would simply be what the software writers wants (they are lazy), and here we would go again for another three years of "Should I go 64, or stay with my old trusted 32 bit"?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks Bassfisher, Windows Upgrade Advisor would be the link. However if you are looking to buy a new computer that link would not be relavant to your needs. That link is for checking if your current computer will take the Windows 7 installation.
Absolutely correct, Cliff. I overlooked the OP's remark that he was planning to buy a new computer. Of course, in that case, if he buys a 64Bit, then under normal circumstances, the built in hardware should not be a problem.

Reaction score
Thank you all really much, but I have seen other threads like
W7 64 bit keeps freezing,
W7 64 bit keeps shutting down
even clifford the moderator said that he has a problem with typing sometimes
So that is the major thing why I'm still considering my Uncle's option for 32Bit
Ofc I'm getting a great CPU with 4GB of ram.

Reaction score
even clifford the moderator said that he has a problem with typing sometimes.
Thats true. However if I remember correctly, I couldn't place the blame on Windows or Drivers because of purchasing a cheap Keyboard & Mouse combo. My combo cost less than a good name brand mouse. And really its not that severe, once every 25 post or so.

I'm can't promise you will not have issues with Windows 7 64-Bit. I can't promise you will not have issues with the 32-Bit either. Everyones issues are as different as the computer they are using. If we only had a number of how many people are not having issues, you could see just what your chances are in having issues.

There are many people that are having freezing issues. If you think about how many people have purchased the 64-Bit system, these numbers start to grow smaller and smaller. One other thought is when you consider the age of hardware that these people are trying to install Windows 7 too.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That hit the nail on the head. The age of the computer (assuming that the hardware is stock) has a lot to do with the performance of Windows 7. For example, my D610 Latitude has no Aero, but with a visit to Driver Max, it's otherwise running OK. My battery life is better, the startup time is faster and overall performance is better than with XP. However, on another laptop that I had, the problems were too much to overcome. Too many things did not work (would not sleep or hibernate), the screen did look good, but 7 just wouldn't run on a C640, and two months after the install, the laptop died on me. This is what concerns me about the next Windows possibly offering 32 bit, is the hardware. There's a lot of issues we won't know about until the RC of the next Windows. But hopefully 64 bit software will start making more ground, and more users will begin to accept and adapt to it.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thank you all really much, but I have seen other threads like
W7 64 bit keeps freezing,
W7 64 bit keeps shutting down
even clifford the moderator said that he has a problem with typing sometimes
So that is the major thing why I'm still considering my Uncle's option for 32Bit
Ofc I'm getting a great CPU with 4GB of ram.
Don't let all the negative news freak you out! Ask your Uncle what specific programs he's talking about. If he can't name any then I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

There are FAR more satisfied users of Windows 7 x64 than those having problems, that's a fact.

Ask a Question