SOLVED Win7 disk with 32bit and/or 64bit

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post ever, so if i'm doing something wrong I guess I get told.... :) Purchased Win7 a couple of days ago with a single disk inside, has this disk got both versions 32 & 64 bit on one disk and if yes, how do I install the 64 bit version?

Reaction score
Solved?

You write that "if this is a support thread and it has been fixed we would like to ask that you mark it as "solved" so that other users can see this." I am assuming that by "solved" you mean my problem has been resolved?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hansengelhardt, welcome to the forum! It looks like you bought an OEM install disc, which only contains one disc (32 or 64 bit), whichever you ordered.

You may need to contact the seller, if you didn't get what you paid for. If you didn't get what you paid for, and bought with a credit card or PayPal, you have further consumer protection rights. Hope everything works out for you.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the disk you bought is 32-bit you can still download and burn the 64-bit edition and the product key will work exactly the same as it would on a 32-bit install. Download Links (if you have Home Premium 32 then download Home Premium 64, if Pro-32 then Pro-64). The file is over 3GB and will take a good while to download so it is best to use a download manager (available as an add-in to IE or included in FireFox) so that if the connection is dropped for any reason it can be resumed.

Where did you buy the product? Does it have any manufacturer logos or educational disclaimers on it, as it may well be an OEM or educational version as Cat mentioned. Unlike full and upgrade versions, the OEM versions can not be transferred to a new computer so if it was installed on another machine then it cannot legally be transferred.

As Cat mentioned, you have some recourse if the product was misrepresented. Also it is estimated that at least 20% of the copies sold on eBay are fraudulent and the product keys will end up being locked out in 2 to 4 months; do not rush to leave positive feedback for such transactions.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You write that "if this is a support thread and it has been fixed we would like to ask that you mark it as "solved" so that other users can see this." I am assuming that by "solved" you mean my problem has been resolved?
Once you have issue or problem resolved then go ahead and mark the thread as "solved".

Reaction score
Hansengelhardt, welcome to the forum! It looks like you bought an OEM install disc, which only contains one disc (32 or 64 bit), whichever you ordered.

You may need to contact the seller, if you didn't get what you paid for. If you didn't get what you paid for, and bought with a credit card or PayPal, you have further consumer protection rights. Hope everything works out for you.

Cat
Hi Cat, thanks for that, yes I got what I ask for, the place where I bought it is a regular supplier for the company that I work for. The guy ask me a couple of times "you sure you want 32 bit" and if I would have really looked at it, I would have realized that the box only had a single disk in it. So my stuff up and I got to wear it. Thanks again for your help. Hans

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please read my post above. You can simply download the 64-bit version and burn it to DVD. Your key will work as long as you download the corresponding version.

Reaction score
win7 OEM disk

If the disk you bought is 32-bit you can still download and burn the 64-bit edition and the product key will work exactly the same as it would on a 32-bit install. Download Links (if you have Home Premium 32 then download Home Premium 64, if Pro-32 then Pro-64). The file is over 3GB and will take a good while to download so it is best to use a download manager (available as an add-in to IE or included in FireFox) so that if the connection is dropped for any reason it can be resumed.

Where did you buy the product? Does it have any manufacturer logos or educational disclaimers on it, as it may well be an OEM or educational version as Cat mentioned. Unlike full and upgrade versions, the OEM versions can not be transferred to a new computer so if it was installed on another machine then it cannot legally be transferred.

As Cat mentioned, you have some recourse if the product was misrepresented. Also it is estimated that at least 20% of the copies sold on eBay are fraudulent and the product keys will end up being locked out in 2 to 4 months; do not rush to leave positive feedback for such transactions.
Hi TrainableMan, my wife would love to have a trainable man, she's been trying for 30 years. Thank you also for your imput, as I wrote to Cat, I walked into it with my eyes open and "expected" 2 disks in the OEM box, I will know better next time. I will follow you suggestion and download (if I can) the 64 bit iso file, I'm on cable with firefox so I'll set it to download and do something else. Thanks again, so seeing I got good results I can close this (thread)? down? OHHH head hurts, more stuff to learn.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To mark it solved, simply click the "thread tools" button at the top of the page and choose the "mark thread solved" option.

I say I am Trainable if the woman has enough persistence and dedication to stick it out but to date all have given up before the training was complete :(

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you're on a cable ISP then the download shouldn't take too long.

Just be sure to burn the ISO image to a GOOD quality DVD disc at no faster than 4X burning speed. (This is to ensure an accurate, stable burn which is critical with OS install discs.)

Use ImgBurn to burn it. It's a free app and has a verify feature to check the burn against the ISO file.

Go to: www.imgburn.com

Reaction score
If you're on a cable ISP then the download shouldn't take too long.

Just be sure to burn the ISO image to a GOOD quality DVD disc at no faster than 4X burning speed. (This is to ensure an accurate, stable burn which is critical with OS install discs.)

Use ImgBurn to burn it. It's a free app and has a verify feature to check the burn against the ISO file.

Go to: www.imgburn.com
Thanks Nibiru2012, have downloaded the iso file and imageburn and will burn it in the next couple of days following your advise. Live long and prosper.....Hans

Ask a Question