Win 7 x64 install not completing

Reaction score
Hi People,
New to this forum looking for solid solutions for my installation problem.

My old computer started showing it's age so I decided to update it with newer parts. However while installing Windows 7 Pro (Authentic Win 7 Pro disk) it will get as far as either the Welcome screen or Preparing Your Desktop with the circle thing going around and around. I let it run for almost two days, but it does not finish. The Hard Disk LED on the MoBo keeps flashing. I don't know what might or might not be going on.

This is a PC/Desktop computer, custom build
CPU is Intel Core i7
MoBo is EVGA X58 SLI (refurbished)
Memory is 12 GB Corsair xms3 DDR3
Graphics Card is EVGA GeForce GTS 250
Hard Drive is WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND SATA SSD
Keyboard is older Dell SK-8100
Mouse is Logitech USB 810-002182
Antivirus is VIPRE (not installed right now)
Browser is Firefox (not installed right now)

I have tried installing Win 7 x64 a number of times with no success. I can access Safe Mode, I reformatted the disc a few times, the disc does show up in the disc management tool. Not sure what to try next...

I hope someone here has the solution for this, I can't be the first.

A Super Big Thanks for any help for this pain.

PS: A while back I tried the Windows 10 upgrade... It did not take long to dump that pile of crap and go back to Windows 7. I don't know what MS was thinking!!!

Reaction score
BUMP... and update

I am very frustrated with this install! After reformatting the SSD several times and attempting to install win 7 x64 from Real MS disk and getting only as far as "Preparing your desktop..." circle going round and round and never finishes. I took a WD Blue 1TB platter disk and starting with an empty NTFS partition did a new install. Again, got only as far as "Preparing your desktop...".

Are there not any Windows 7 Experts here that are willing to assist me to get this install completed with either hard disc I use?

Ask a Question