Win 7 SP1 trashed my Desktop icons

Reaction score
After installing SP1 on Windows 7 Pro 64bit, the desktop icons are not visible (gone). Just the text remains. Start button is also dead, but mouse works. The background is black almost like the KSOD, but text is on the screen...

I have found a few references to this having to do with explorer or icon cache. None of the
suggested fixes worked. Any ideas short of a complete reinstall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Reaction score
Thx, I'll give that a try. I have found a few other threads with the same exact problem, but no joy as of yet. No viruses, not an explorer problem, seems may have something to do with vga/dvi video.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Some people have had issues with SP1 if they install it after doing a clean install of the original Windows 7 DVD.

I recommend you just make a new install DVD using the Windows 7 Professional SP1 ISO Image and do a clean install. Far fewer problems and a cleaner setup too.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Ya, I am aware of this workaround. However, i was hoping I wouldn't have to go through the reinstall.

Ask a Question