Why No Memory Dump Files???

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I had a B.S.O.D this morning. I saw error code 0xc000185 which means (?) a hardware failure so I didn't panic. This is my same old, and only, B.S.O.D problem, the PC loses my main HDD and recognises only my old second I.D.E HDD. I rip the side panel off and re-seat the main HDD SATA cables and I'm good to go again.
But Yippee(?), I thought, I could start to learn about error dumps. Then I read "Physical memory dump failed" .
That's the bit that's worrying me, I've got no memory dump. I can't find a folder called Memory Dump, MiniDump or any other kind of dump, I've searched for *.dmp files which gives no result so, I'm thinking, I could have a major problem if the shirt ever really hits the fan.

In Properties/Advanced System Settings/Startup And Recovery/Settings....
Write an event to the system log is ticked
Automatically restart is unticked
Write debugging information dropdown is set to Small memory dump (256kb)
and
Small dump directory is set to %SystemRoot%\Minidump

I looked in the Event Viewer (maybe the wrong place) but all I could see were errors relating to Windows Auto Update failing to start, which is no surprise, it's turned off, I do them manually.

I digress**. Am I missing something else to make sure "error dumps" are written to file??

**Readers Digest "Word of the day" April 23rd 1973 Edition!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
In some rare cases, there is no bsod crash dump evident because the failure has been so drastic that Windows was not able to create one.

Since SATA cables aren't very expensive, I'd look into replacing it/them.

You should check your main hard drive and let Windows repair any errors it finds with it. To do so, open an elevated command prompt. Copy/paste this command to it and hit enter. Follow the onscreen instructions about rebooting.

Code:
chkdsk /r C:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Since SATA cables aren't very expensive, I'd look into replacing it/them.
Thanks for the answer TorrentG. I know that's what I should do, but our "local" Pc bits 'n' bobs store is next door to Sainsburys :eek:. That and Tesco's :eek::eek: are the two major causes of putting the ebee geebees up red blooded males here in the UK.

(I said Tesco's and Sainsburys in the same paragraph, I need to lie down!!)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can get them on eBay including postage for under $3. Just check to see if they are in China or Hong Kong (I just check the "in the USA" button) otherwise they take about 30 days to arrive.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I learned long ago about ordering from Hong Kong. It took three weeks for a printer ink cartridge to arrive. When I ordered from a US source, it only took three days.

Also, needless to say, the one that was refilled in the US lasted longer.

And on those cables, watch out for those $2 deals from Asia, most likely, the wires are thinner than the US made ones that costs more.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for!

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm looking for some "locking" SATA cables actually (UK source). The ones I'm using at the mo are those that came with the MoBo. I suppose it's like a stereo or tele set up, the speaker/aerial cables they supply is usually only any good for tying the cardboard boxes up when you've unpacked everything!!

Ask a Question