Why does System Restore points disappear?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using Windows 7 since Nov 2009, and it's been a very positive experience for me, ease of use, many built in features, easy to upgrade from one version to the other, lots of goodies to list.

But one thing that I've never figured out is why System Restore points vanish, although I always reserve at least 25% of my OS partition for this exclusive purpose. I do the same on my Data partition. I also from time to time create custom restore points, not just relying on an app installer or Windows to do this for me.

The reason that I ask this, is that on two separate computers, I needed a restore point, and it wasn't there. But I was able to roll back a previously installed video driver in order to correct a bad driver update (NVIDIA's last release) on my notebook. On my desktop, the install of SP1 wiped out my restore points.

I don't totally rely on System Restore, as I create full backups every other week, and have saved the original, plus at least two recent, to fall back on. But I'd like to know where these points are going. With 52.70GB (35%) currently reserved for that sole purpose, I wonder why I can only go back to the last week of March to choose from a suitable point from.

Where are they going?

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How big is your OS partition? In other words, instead of 25% how many GBs are being reserved (each one takes roughly 2GB)?

Also if W7 thinks the partition is filing up I believe it may recover the space. I believe SP1 and I suppose it's possible some other Win Updates wiped out restore points. Plus disk cleaners could potential wipe them out to recover space.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Aren't you dual booting XP or other windows 7 editions, Cat?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's in my OP, 52.70GB. I actually have 35% set for it on my desktop, being that I have more room on the HDD.

So could it be CCleaner wiping out these points (or the data that the points contain)? I thought (or assumed) that Windows would protect these files, being that I reserved this space for this purpose.

On the other hand, I have known of some HDD free space "wipers", including Eraser & the similar function of CCleaner, to wipe out all restore points. But I no longer use these functions, for that reason.

I did try out an alternative to System Restore, Comodo Time Machine. Only problem is, once a "snapshot" is taken, it cannot be changed (it's actually protected). Even if Windows wouldn't otherwise boot, you press the "home" key at startup, and Comodo will bail you out. It loads after the screen where you can access the BIOS.

Problem with that is, your system stays the same at every point. If it's fragmented, it'll stay that way. You cannot delete temporary system files. Needless to say, it didn't stay on the computer an hour.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Aren't you dual booting XP or other windows 7 editions, Cat?
Not anymore, davehc. On my deceased notebook I did, but on my new one, no.

On my desktop, I dual boot with Mint 9. The only XP installs that I now have are within VM's.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to Piriform, CCleaner does NOT delete system restore points so if that is the only program you use then I doubt that is causing your issue.

Microsoft support offers another situation where Restore Points can be deleted ... Highly Fragmented Paging File

Frankly I think there may be Microsoft issues with this as it seems to be a common problem. See HERE and HERE and HERE

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I see some of the things that may cause this, in those articles. One even suggested that defragging can cause the loss of them. Defragging is a necessary part of maintaining a computer.

Hopefully, this will improve.

In the meantime, I'll continue to rely on backups, as long as the drive is good, and doesn't sprout legs, it's the best way to restore a system.

Cat

Ask a Question