where to begin? Basic.exe

Reaction score
Fed up w/ my compaq Vista I bought a W7 laptop and went whole hog, VAIO x64.

Then I discovered W7-x64 simply will not run the GW-Basic interpreter, and I have been totally unable to find basic.exe mentioned in any w7 post.
I don't really have an alternative to Basic. It monitors, manipulates, stores and prints all of my medical info on a weekly basis which I absolutely positively gotta have.
I have downloaded several DOS-Boxes, which would make a really complicated problem even worse.
I have downloaded and installed the MS XP Virtual Machine... but have been unable to figure out how to set it up... + same argument about avoiding complications.
I am looking for any form of Basic.exe which W7-x64 will run. I don't really want to because I am always fine-tuning 1 or more of the dozen+ modules in the Basic program, but I would even go w/ a Basic Compiler if necessary.

Any advice appreciated. My transfer from Compaq/Vista to VAIO/W7 came to a screeching halt 10 days ago while I try to solve this incompatibility.

-

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Gw Basic is about 20 years old now, so I guess they decided to drop the support. But, have you tried Visual basic? I know little about it, or whether it is a new learning curve, but it was the successor. ??

Reaction score
My thanks to all who responded.

By following instructions word-word I did get the XP-SP3 VM functional, and it will run GWBasic.
It turns out that the initial install MUST be done via the START menu. Installing by going to the VM's home directory and clicking the actual program-name (my preference), or on a link, ultimately bombs. (Or at least requires more expertise than I have.)
Similarly I discovered the hard way that any change to the default VM home disk renders it unstartable, although it can successfully reinstall itself in response. Go figure.

Now I can complete the transfer and retire the Vista/Compaq. (fingers crossed)

thanks again

~~

Reaction score
Would FreeBasic be any use to you? http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/about

What happens when you try to run GWBasic in Windows 7?
[...]

W7 just says "Incompatible Program" (or words to that effect) no matter how I tweak Basic's properties/Compatibility-Mode etc.
Quite different from Outlook 2002 which started out a train-wreck, but through several reinstalls and repairs, now operates OK under W7. (At-least OK-enough to sync my IPAQ)

I guess that's the difference between a Windoz pgm designed to run via the Registry, and a DOS pgm that expects to control its own resources. Odd though, that it runs OK under Vista (via Cmd, 4NT, any of the various TCCs) ... but W7 breaks it under any command processor that I have access to.

~~

Ask a Question