Where did Windows 7 get it's name?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
It's not the 7th operating system, I counted.
Windows 1.0
Windows 2.0
Windows 3.0
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista

That's not even all. There's also
Windows ME
Windows NT
Windows Server 2003
Windows Longhorn

and even more! This is DEFINITELY not the 7th operating system. So ha. But where did Microsoft get the name? Possibly like windows 2007? I don't know.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Ahhh, kernal 7, eh? *googles kernal 7*
EDIT: I googled kernal 7, and the second or third thing that popped up was an article stating that windows 7 uses kernal 6.1. I guess I'll stick to sbrach's post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
if you type in "winver" in the run command in xp, it shows 5.1 and in vista 6.0.

in windows 7 i see it says my winver is 6.1 right now. not sure if that is due to it's being a beta or what but by release date i'm sure it'll say 7.0.

but yes, what sbrach says is true.

Reaction score
if you type in "winver" in the run command in xp, it shows 5.1 and in vista 6.0.

in windows 7 i see it says my winver is 6.1 right now. not sure if that is due to it's being a beta or what but by release date i'm sure it'll say 7.0.

but yes, what sbrach says is true.
Windows 7 is never going to see 7 as a version number. MS assigned 6.1 as official version for Windows 7 earlier and the official reason states that it would help negating application incompatibility issues.

Reaction score
right but windows 7 is "version 7" not "6.1". I find it funny.

Reaction score
In Cantonese(a type of Chinese), "7" in chinese is the same pronounciation with a curse word in Cantonese.

Until now, I still can't figure why Microsoft named windows NT 6.1 to "Windows 7"?

And I have a question.

Is that "7" represents lucky in United states??

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Wow, that's really funny. Yes, the "7" is supposedly a lucky number. Ahaha.

Ask a Question