SOLVED whats up with win7 updates

Reaction score
Hi there I have 3 computers with win7 2 64 and 1 32 and over the last 3 weeks
auto update has failed to install IE9 and the service pack and 20 of the the last KB updates

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try switching to manual and install 1 at a time starting with the most recent set; there was a problem where multiple updates in the queue at the same time caused an error and this was patched in the last round of updates This may be causing your issue and installing one at a time should allow you to get caught up.

Reaction score
Try switching to manual and install 1 at a time starting with the most recent set; there was a problem where multiple updates in the queue at the same time caused an error and this was patched in the last round of updates.
How does one know which is the most recent? Mine are listed without date or time.

I finally started at the top of the list and all have now run.

Reaction score
well why are we paying for window 7 if its still a beta and have to do things like this to get their s it to work

that fixed thanks mod

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
W7 is not a Beta but they aren't perfect. The updates work on their own but ran in to a problem when multiple tried to run within the same restart.

BSomers, to answer your question, when you select it in the list there is more detail on the right ...
ReleaseDate.jpg

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I haven't had no negative issues to report on installing Windows 7 updates. The only thing that remotely consisted of an issue this week, was one of my computers (my desktop) rebooted an extra time to install the updates. No big deal to me.

I have 3 installs of Windows 7 64 bit, 2 Pro & 1 Ultimate (my desktop dual boots between Pro & Ultimate). Again, I repeat, no problems with updating.

Perhaps it's the users AV/IS programs giving the problems. Or has SP1 been installed? There's also another update that's required to accept future updates (KB976902) that needs to be installed, this may be the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902

If you're having trouble updating, make sure that this update is installed. Beware, if your system is non-genuine, there may be troubles afterward. This update cannot be removed.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
With millions of copies out there MOST machines update without a problem but that is no consolation for the few that do have issues. There are so many different possibilities of CPU/mobo/RAM/Graphics card etc that it is amazing as many are successful as there are but for the odd case that doesn't it's quite frustrating.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You're right, TM. The AV/IS solution used may play a part too. To rule that out, disable the AV/IS to allow for updating. Some firewalls are bad for not allowing updates (or programs) through, that's why I stick with the Windows Firewall.

That's the first thing to try out, seeing if it's the security not allowing the updates to go through. It's worth a shot, and costs nothing.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In this case it does sound like the poster did actually get the files, they just failed on install (at least as I read it) but, as Cat mentioned, for any user that can never get the updates to actually download it is definitely possible that a firewall is blocking the ports.

Ask a Question