Whats The Best Free Office Suite ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I had this question asked me today by a customer and I said Open Office is quite good, but I know there are quite a few others, so do any members here use a freeware Office Suite ?.

Reaction score
OpenOffice.org, bar none. I use Google Docs exclusively, since it meets my needs.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Another vote for Open Office :)

I'm using MS Office 2007 on this PC, simply because I've got a license for it, but on systems that I don't often need to use an office suit on, I just stick on OO and it does the job very well.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you have no license for MS Office, Open Office is your best free one. However, with many new computers, MS Works is preinstalled, it's not the full suite, but many everyday apps are included with it.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thanks everyone ( I'm glad I suggested OO to my customer), I don't use any Office app but my wife does use MS Office 2007 .... and knows a lot more about it then I do ... (I don't do letters :D)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If your customer is a student, or works at a school, or if anyone in the family is a student, or works at a school, then the Student and Teacher Edition of Microsoft Office, while not free, is a very good bargain - for about $120 US, you can legally install it on 3 machines in the house.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Currently, and I just installed it, Microsoft Office 2010 beta is available for a limited time. That would most certainly be better than Open Office. MS Office documents looks so much better than it's main competitor, Open Office. And is easy to learn and use. But it's going to be free for only so long, so get it while you can. Comparing Open Office to MS Office is like comparing a Vega to a Camaro. I know there's those who can't afford to pay for the software, but the above offer still stands, take advantage of it while you can. And a reminder, many newer computers have MS Works, look in the Start Menu, it's a scaled down version of MS Office, but it's OK for some purposes, such as budgeting, etc.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
For free Office suite, I'd go for OpenOffice.org
Though, I still prefer Office 2007.

Fire Cat

Microsoft Office 2010 beta is available for a limited time. That would most certainly be better than Open Office
Limited, but very long limit! In total, the beta version will have been available to download and use for a year!

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's still there, but I have the full version installed now. Out of the free ones, Open Office is the best, but when Microsoft betas are freely available for download, that would be a better option. As long as it's a beta, it's free, and should be in the count, too.

Ask a Question