What happened to Copy/Replace??

Reaction score
Did I miss a setting somewhere? If I drag+drop a file from one folder to another, and that file name is already in the target folder, Vista pops up with a copy/replace dialog, while W7 seems to just make a new name without telling you. This is really annoying. Is there a setting I can change to get the dialog rather than a new name?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmmm! I was doing that just yesterday but I did get the Copy/Replace/Cancel dialogue!
If there is a setting I don't remember changing it!

Reaction score
Hmmm! I was doing that just yesterday but I did get the Copy/Replace/Cancel dialogue!
I get the Copy/Replace/Cancel on rare occasions, mostly just get a 2nd copy of the file. I just tried copy and move, twice each to the same drive, and then to another drive and got duplicates all 4 times. I have no idea yet what algorithm gets ne the normal C/R/C, but I do see it at times, would rather alal the time.

Reaction score
Shortcuts get (2) etc added when copied to the same place!
Sometimes they get Copy of added!

Reaction score
No, these are the usual full file, Geoff, not shortcuts. I've been digging all over today for a possible setting I changed, but find nothing.

Reaction score
Has anything been done on this issue?? This is MAJORLY ANNOYING!! It's also a bear to remedy. Finding all files with - Copy in their name. When I did a search for - Copy, I got a list of all files WITHOUT that in the name. What up???

I did notice that doing Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V seems to work. I get prompted to overwrite. But drag & drop no worky.

Last edited:

Ask a Question