Well finally got my Win7 software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
But wont be useing it in medium term. Friends of mine have a son in the business and he got them a home premium pack with licensing for 3 machines.
They only needed it for two so I got the third copy/licence/disk whatever everyone wants to call it.
I'll put it aside for a rainy day until such time as my MoBo dies and I have to upgrade.

Free is a good price I reckon :D

Mike

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but understand you just admitted to illegally obtaining and intend to illegally use that Windows license. These are "Family" packs meaning they are to be used on three computers in the same household! See Qualified Family Pack User. Therefore, I would urge you to say "thanks but no thanks" and return it to your friend, then go buy a legal new license when you upgrade.

Reaction score
Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but understand you just admitted to illegally obtaining and intend to illegally use that Windows license. These are "Family" packs meaning they are to be used on three computers in the same household! See Qualified Family Pack User. Therefore, I would urge you to say "thanks but no thanks" and return it to your friend, then go buy a legal new license when you upgrade.

Yeah right, yadda, yadda yadda, sure will.
Mate I've known these people 30 yrs. THAT'S family by my terms.

Their son has been in IT for over 10yrs, I'll accept he knows his stuff.
Your comments have been noted and filed.

Or do you wish to now debate the LEGAL interpretations of what constitutes a family.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Actually, I KNEW as soon as I read your post that you would be hearing from Digerati. As a Microsoft MVP he does his best to make people aware of the legal aspect of the software they install and on this site we try to encourage our readers to follow the laws in their area.

Unless the terms are different down-under the license IS for within the same household, so you may need to move in for the install to be legal. It's also possible Microsoft may have defined "family" to a certain number of generations, otherwise I'm sure if you go back to Noah your OK in that department.

Please read the license carefully to be sure you are in compliance.

Mod Note: As there is a possible compliance issue I will simply close the thread. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question