Wanted very basic. video editor.

Reaction score
I'm after something very simple (like me,:confused:) to edit short video clips.
Really don't want much more then something that will allow me to crop off the start and end of a clip and maybe bits in between.

It does not need to add effects or change formats and just re-saves in same place as the source.

Something that shows the video like a film frame laid out where I can just move sliders along to crop and cut/paste would be good.

Reaction score
I'm interested in one myself but haven't really spent the time looking. If I find one, I'll let you know.

Reaction score
I've had a bit of a play with the Nero 10 one. It's not 'simple' maybe good but not immediately intuitive, at least not to me.
My iphone has a very simple editor which works a bit like what I described above but no good to me with lots of clips on my PC that I want to clean up.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Let us know how you fare with Windows Live Movie Maker.

I am interested too.

Reaction score
It seems to edit in the basic way I want. For trimming start and end. It alters the file format though to .wimp and I haven't been able to change that as yet.

Edit to trimming. Seems as if the end finishes where I set it to but at the start it's only shortened it in the sense that I get 20 secs of black screen with nothing happening before it commences at where I set it to. So it has not actually cut that first bit off.

Edit 2. Only seems to open the video with Windows Live movie Maker. Telling to open with VLC my preferred player stops it playing.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Edit 2. Only seems to open the video with Windows Live movie Maker. Telling to open with VLC my preferred player stops it playing.
What file type did you save it as? It should be able to export as something any video player can use :)

Reaction score
What file type did you save it as? It should be able to export as something any video player can use :)
.wimp It did not seem to give options for other formats. I'll still have a bit more of a play tomorrow but that seems to be how it goes.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like the .wimp file is the project source for your video - if you save it as a movie format, it will play in VLC/Media player/etc....

This page explains the formats:

http://help.live.com/Help.aspx?mark...L_Movie_Maker_REF_ProjectMovieDifferences.htm

If you read the right hand column, it should explain it a little more :)

To save a movie on your computer or publish it on the web, on the Home tab, in Sharing group, click one of the settings to save or publish your movie.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you simply trying to chop the beginning or end off AVI files? Use VirtualDubMod. You open the file in it and set beginning and ending markers, Delete, Under Video in the Menu set Direct Stream Copy and then save the file (best to save to a new name and make sure you got it right)

Reaction score
Yes, pretty much just cropping off starts and ends. Maybe in some cases bits in the middle. They are not only .AVI files though, some are .mpeg will it work with any file format?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No not all, but it can handle avis and m-pegs. It cannot do WMV because Microsoft owns a patent and threatened a lawsuit. And it can't handle MKVs.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You can try the so-called freeware software, but none of them can hold a candle to Pinnacle's Studio software.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I have seen Pinacle, and it seems to be the best by miles, Only caveat is that it's a little on the expensive side...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, I have Ver.12 and I'm not paying to upgrade to Ver.14. 12 does everything I need, especially for as little as I use it.

Ask a Question