Unwanted searching

Reaction score
A window keeps appearing stating - 'Windows cannot find D:/No. Make sure you typed the name correctly then try again.' The search refers I think to a shortcut I had. I use Windows 7 and I have tried everything to stop this window appearing without success. Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would install and run the registry cleaner portion (The second tab down on the left) of CCleaner.

Unusual pop-ups can also be caused by viruses so it wouldn't hurt to update your A/V and run a scan. You might also consider the freeware "manual" scan of Malwarebytes (it doesn't run in the background all the time, only when you manually execute it).

If the problem persists after that then perhaps you could post a screen shot.

Links to CCleaner and Malwarebytes can be found in our Freeware DB

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you looked in Msconfig, under the startup tab, to see if you have anything running there which could be causing the problem.
Not for the faint hearted, but I choose not to use any patent thrid party "cleaners"
I would open the registry and conduct a search for the exact string "D:/No", and delete all instances.

But: If you want to try this method, please make a backup of your registry first.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you rebooted your system? Does it happen as it boots or only after you do something? Does it continue to happen on it's own or only when you click or select something. Please be as specific as you can and if possible include a screenshot of the error message.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It just happens of its own, there does not seem to be anything that causes it to appear. I have searched for all things related to it and also in the registry without success. I am not sure how to provide you with a screen shot at this time, it seems to be too big when I paste it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Can you tell me what programs are running? I see Word, CCleaner, & Firefox; what are all the other icons across the bottom? Try closing one of them and see if it stops, if not, close another till you figure out which program is causing it. (It could be another program in memory but it wouldn't hurt to eliminate all those you have open in your task bar first)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is there anything under Scheduled Tasks that may be causing this to appear?

A few other Q's to narrow it down:

Does it happen in Safe Mode?
Does it happen when no apps are loaded?
Does it happen at specific time intervals?

Ask a Question