SOLVED Wanted. Recomendations for new monitor.

Reaction score
I'd put this idea on the back burner a while ago but now I've got a new MoBo with the capability to run HDMI I'm thnking of getting a new monitor.
Not larger then 21inch, just looking for brand/model recommendations, you can quote prices if you wish but they will be different over here anyway.

More interested in colour re-production, clarity, warranty, features, that sort of info.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
ViewSonic! ViewSonic! ViewSonic!

LED Backlight, excellent resoluton and color, one of the best warranties in industry.

ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED Black 21.5" 5ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DC 10,000,000:1 (1,000:1) w/Speakers

This is the one I have, don't use the speakers though as their sound quality is not that great.3 year parts and labor warranty.The best pixel warranty there is in the industry!

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/led-lcd/vx2250wmled.htm

.ViewSonic LCD desktop display products are warranted with our LCD Pixel Performance Guarantee. Through this limited warranty, you are guaranteed high-quality screen performance with no more than four (4) improperly operating pixels total and no more than three (3) bright or three (3) dark pixels.

Reaction score
I'd forgotton about Viewsonic. They have been around a while now. They used to have the coloured finch as their product image.

Out of sight out of mind I think, I have not seen them in shops for a while. Everyone seems to be selling BENQ, LG or Samsung or ASUS.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Ones with LED backlight are supposed to be easier on the eyes.

One thing I'd recommend is going for something with as low a response time as possible, 6 ms or less.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Why no larger than 21? I ask because monitors with adjustable height some times makes squeezing in a bigger monitor a little easier. Adjustable height are harder to find, but both Samsung and ViewSonic make them.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Why no larger than 21? I ask because monitors with adjustable height some times makes squeezing in a bigger monitor a little easier. Adjustable height are harder to find, but both Samsung and ViewSonic make them.
Digerati makes a good point here about the adjustable features. I use an Ergotron Neo-Flex monitor stand for my ViewSonic since it's base didn't have the features I desired. But there are several ViewSonic monitors that do have a wide range of adjustable features. I used the Ergotron with my last monitor prior to the ViewSonic so switching was an easy task.

Some monitor stands are not that great in the fact that some are wobbly and lack adjustability features.

It seems that some monitor makers are getting away from providing VESA mounts on the rear of the unit. This I don't like because I feel that VESA mounts should be standard on all LCD monitors. This way the monitor can be mounted in a myriad of way, if needed. It's not that difficult to engineer and price is negligible.

Reaction score
Yes, good point guys. I've found one Samsung and one BENQ with height adjustment.
My current monitor is only 17inch and has done what I need, so I thought 21inch would do.

Prices seem to jump up a lot once you go for 21inch or larger.

Still not decided yet though.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Prices seem to jump up a lot once you go for 21inch or larger
Yes they do but monitors last for years so spreading that extra cost over 5 or 6 years or longer makes it easier to justify - especially when you will be happier - you really can't have too much Windows desktop real estate, as long as you have enough desk to put it on. I have found the 22 - 24" inch range is about right for me. I have two 22" widescreens on my main system, and 24" singles on my others. Larger than 24" and I'm moving my head up and down too much. Left and right is fine, just not up and down - at least for me.

It should also be noted that a 24" widescreen is about the same the height as a 19" 4:3 monitor.

Newegg has 16 22" monitors under $200.

Do make sure any monitor you buy supports a digital input, either DVI or HDMI. The video signal in both is exactly the same, so for video quality, it does not matter. But for convenience, the newer HDMI is the better, and more and more graphics cards support HDMI.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Depending on your motherboard and the on-boards, your HDMI might also carry audio (a primary difference between HDMI and DVI) which can be nice if your monitor has built in speakers. Most however, just carry video so wires from the on-board sound are still required.

Reaction score
Yep, I'll mark as solved. Or you can delete all the bit about failure and leave up the discussion about monitors in general.

Ask a Question