W7 Privacy Settings

Reaction score
In Control Panel > Internet Options > Privacy Tab, There's an option I've never noticed before .... "Never allow websites to request your physical location".

It was not checked.
That sounds like the type of setting that would be checked by default, or is there some reason for that other than the obvious?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This explains it fairly clearly I believe. It's only websites that use it for mapping purposes such as Google Maps, MapQuest, Yelp, and etc.

Geolocation is a feature in new versions of web browsers. For example, Internet Explorer 9 (IE9). This allows websites to be able to keep a track of your physical location in order to provide custom localized services and search results. This may prove to be helpful sometimes, but could also compromise privacy.

What is sent to websites that requires location data?

Your IP address is sent to the website that requests the location information. If you are using a laptop or other wireless-enabled device, the MAC address and signal strength can be sent as well. The browser should not save location data, nor are any cookies generated by websites that request the location information. Other websites will not be able to retrieve it, but it’s recommended to regularly clean your temporary Internet files, browsing history and stored cookies.
Above quote is from another Windows 7 website.

There is also instruction on how to disable the "Geolocation" feature in Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.

SOURCE

Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru, good to see ya!
So I take it that setting refers to the website asking your browser for location info without your consent?
So if you check that box, you could still give the info if you so choose, but they just couldn't get it without your consent, is that the idea?

Reaction score
Great I did not know it that how we use windows 7 privacy setting.
Thanks.

Ask a Question