W7 extends my display every time I close my laptop's lid

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a ThinkPad T400 and I'm dual-booting Vista and 7 (but I only really use 7). In 7, when you press Windows+P, you get 4 display options: Computer Only, Duplicate, Extend, and Projector Only. Since I just have one laptop screen, I obviously want Computer Only. But every time I close the lid (or restart), it reverts back to an Extended display, which means when I move the cursor to the right of the screen to use a scrollbar, close a maximized window, or desktop peek, I have to be precise or else the cursor will fly off the right side of the screen into my non-existent extended display.

Any ideas to fix this? Thanks.

Reaction score
You can check to see if you have a checkbox to extend your display over multiple monitors under
"Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution"

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. It's the same thing as Windows+p. It thinks I have 2 displays, and I only have one. Right now, if I go to Display/Resolution settings, it says "Multiple displays: Show desktop only on 1." But every time I close my lid and reopen it, it switches to "Multiple displays: Extend these displays." And so it thinks I have multiple displays when I don't. I want it to realize that I just have one screen.

Reaction score
But if you tell it not to extend desktop and get it to save that way. You might not be moving the mouse of the side of the screen

As for correcting the number of monitors I dont know how to correct that

Reaction score
This is what the resolution control window looks likewith the correct settings:

Then, WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING, I just close my lid, open it, and it has changed to these settings:

So it's really annoying.

Reaction score
Do you have the "Catalyst Control Center"?
I have heard of other having to make changes with the software specificly for their video whether ATI or GeForce!

Reaction score
I have it but it doesn't seem to open. There have been compatibility issues with my graphics card (and software) and Windows 7.

Reaction score
Have you tried restarting the computer after selecting the One monitor only sometimes a reboot is required for some of the setting to be stored properly
I dont know for sure but the laptop may be calling on the old settings when it awakens. A simple reboot may do the trick

Ask a Question