Virtual PC does not work

Reaction score
Hi all :)!

Hi have a problem that it is stalking me.

I have a machine with Windows 7 Professional with Virtual PC installed, the last time I used it (with XP Mode) it worked perfectly, but now when I execute Virtual PC nothing happens, but the process show up in the task manager.

The same thing happened to me a few months ago (with 7 Ultimate), and the solution was reinstalling windows.

Already tried system restore and reinstalling Virtual PC, both did not work.

What could it be?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Miguel, welcome to the forum! Prior to installing Virtual PC w/XP Mode, did you enable hardware virtualization in the BIOS, if your processor supports it? If it doesn't support it, there is an update for those computers that will allow you to run it.

Personally, VMPlayer (can be downloaded from File Hippo w/o registration) or Oracle's Virtual Box are better solutions that Windows Virtual PC is. However, you need an OS to install within it. Also, there's VMLite, which uses the same XP Mode disc that the one you have does. On the Options bar, click "search", make sure that "threads" are checked, type in "vm lite" w/o the quotes, go down a dozen or more threads. Look for the one "XP Mode in Windows 7 w/o Hardware Virtualization". You have to register for the VM, but not the XP Mode disc. You should already have that.

I hope that this post is of some help to you, mabye another VM would be more suitable for your system. One thing to keep in mind, if your system is a 32 bit one, you need at least 2GB RAM, if 64 bit, at least 3GB. Of course another GB wouldn't hurt. Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back anytime.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Hi catilley :)!

Yes, it was already enabled by default in the bios :).

The problem its not XP Mode, the problem is that Virtual PC does not work at all, its on the task manager, but nothing more, it does not show up in the tray icon area also.
Uninstalled XP mode, created other virtual machine, and it is the same as above.

I know about Vbox and Vmware, but I want to resolve this, because its not the first time that this happens.

Don't know if it helps but will write down my computers specs.

Windows 7 64 Professional on a Intel Core I5 750. 4GB Ram Kingston, ATI 5850, Asus P7P55D-E.

I have Eset Smart security installed, Steam and a few games, MS Office, Skype, Winrar, Nero, Firefox, Daemon Tools, and I think its all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, I fixed it :).

Removed some applications on msconfig and now it works :).

For those who may have the same problem, I removed from startup Daemon tools, some HP Printer software, Java, Adobe Reader, webcam and mouse software.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you're running smooth, Miguel. VM's can be a little buggy at times, but usually trying different things (usually removing) helps. Also, too much security is worse than too little, if you set many AV's to max protection in all levels, this can degrade performance. Especially in low powered (less than 1GB RAM) machines.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you had some problems with your Windows XP Mode. I wanted to make sure that you are aware of some resources that discuss this feature. There's a video demo at bit.ly/Win7ProXPMode and more detailed info at bit.ly/WinXPMode.

Ask a Question