Virtual Machine

Reaction score
I'm new to Windows 7 (64 bit). Is Virtual Machine part of the Windows 7 operating system?

Thanks, Janine

Reaction score
Virutal Machine

Thanks for the info. Clifford. So Virtual Machine is not actually part of the Windows 7 (64 bit) Operating System?

Janine

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi JanineS!
It kinda is part of Windows, but you have to install it. Wich version of windows do you have?
As clifford_cooley said, it is only available in versions of Windows 7 from Professional to Ultimate, that is, to run XP mode. If you have one of those, you can download from the official Virtual PC page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
Though, you can still run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on any windows machine, by downloading and running the installer from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

It's OK, you'll notice it's from the Microsoft Download section, so it isn't any kind of crack, or illegal downloading.

Just go to the bottom of the page and download the 64bit installer.
That will install Virtual PC 2007, but NOT XP mode, as that is only available in the versions Pro to Ultimate.

Fire Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks fire cat

I realize now I misquoted abit.

It is XP Mode not Virtual PC that doesn't work with Home Premium. I think I was relating them together when I made my first post. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
JanineS, welcome to the forum! There is a free program that will allow you to run the same XP Mode as mentioned above. It's called VM Lite. It will give you a pre-activated version of XP Pro SP3, and you can do this with any version of Windows 7, including Starter. Go to the forum interface (that long black bar with the forum choices), click "Search", make sure that "threads" are checked. Type "vm lite" in the box w/o the quote marks. About the 12th thread down, you'll see "XP Mode in Windows 7 w/o Hardware Virtualization" Read the instructions carefully. Download VM Lite first (registration required, it's free), then XP Mode (the second link), and any other of the tutorials you want. Install VM Lite, you will be required to click through several prompts. Then install XP Mode, you have a choice of how to do this. You can either point the installer to the XP Mode file in your download folder (the easy way), or you can burn XP Mode to disc to install. I mentioned Starter, because you don't have to burn a disc to accomplish this with. And by doing it this way, you don't need your own OS to install within the VM. You will need to install an anti-virus within it, and a program such a Malwarebytes (free), too. This is XP we're talking about, you need protection. Hopefully, I've pointed you in a decent direction. And before I forget, you'll need to fully update XP before using it. Should you have anymore concerns, or need help with anything else, large or small, feel free to post anytime. One last thing, with a 64 bit computer, you need at least 3GB RAM, with a 32 bit, 2GB RAM. Anything less, your OS & the VM won't run stable.

Last edited:

Ask a Question