SOLVED Vid card is ATI HD3200 can I

Reaction score
I just bought this gateway desktop computer ( my 3rd GW ) and am happy except for the Vid Card. It is a HD3200 and from what I have read is a laptop type card? Is it?
And can I put a ATI 4800 series or 5700 series in as a replacement?
The memo that came with the system is ddr2 and has 8gigs.

My chip is the AMD Phenom II x4 805 and running win 7 of course.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Hi downntheholler - Welcome to w7forums

Which Gateway computer do you have downntheholler?

We can look it up for you. :)

Reaction score
Gateway DX4300-11

• Graphics Controller
    • Type - Integrated
    • Graphics Processor / Vendor - ATI Radeon HD 3200
  • Expansion / Connectivity
    • 1 x PCI Express x16
You can purchase any PCIe x16 graphics card and install in the available slot. Your onboard graphics will disable itself when you install a card. :)

PS - You may want to study up on the power requirements of your card and whether your power supply will be sufficient.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Reaction score
Gateway sold so many versions of the 4300 that I can't even find specifications that aren't extremely general on the Gateway site. And I see no mention of the MOBO...
http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2009/gateway/dx/dx4300/DX4300sp2.shtml

I'm guessing you mean heaven and not a Vietnamese dinner table?

Not sure what a MOBO is? and not sure where I can find my power/watts to support the new Vid Card....have the Belarc Advisor Profile of this puter but shows no info on the power supply.

LOL and yes Heaven...a quote by Will Rogers

By the way...by people do you mean your Mom? :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
MOBO is Motherboard.

FYI: When you plug a graphics card into the PCI-e slot it will disable the on-board port. If you are considering any dual slot PCI-e graphics card, you should make sure you have room, as your video card or modem may be right next to it in a PCI-e x16 slot and if you can't move them it would be a problem. If you have the 500W power supply then it should handle most any single graphics card except the very top end; the 300W option would likely need swaped out if you buy any graphics card that requires a separate power connection.

The wattage is written on the power supply and may be visible from the back, or inside your computer if you open the desktop it will be on the side or bottom of the PSU (power supply unit). Be sure to turn it off first and avoid touching the components as best you can because static electricity can damage them unless you ground yourself first.

While you are inside you can verify you have room for a dual-slotted card. And you should also measure how much space you have from the rear of the case till you hit a harddrive or other casing, because some graphics cards can be 12inches or longer and may not fit that way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gateway DX4300-11
Link above tells that you have a 300W power supply. Every graphics card will require a different amount of power. The power requirements I was suggesting will depend upon the graphics card you choose to purchase. Chances are very high that you will need a higher powered supply than 300W.

I'm also willing to bet that you don't have a six or eight pin power plug designed for the high power graphics with that power supply. This would also mean you would need to use the adapters that may or may not come with the card. However I would not recommend using the adapter. I'm not trying to confuse you, I'm simply bringing this necessary step to your attention. :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I hadn't looked at the specs Clifford had found, they definitely say 300W. The Gateway specs without the -11 say 300 or 500. I believe most of the 5700 cards actually take less power that the 4800s but a 300W is still going to be below recommendations for both, if I remember correctly. I think they recommend 450W for a single and 600W if using two in crossfire (I doubt your MOBO has four slots available for this dual crossfire configuration anyway).

I have a 5770 in this computer and I put a 4850 in another and they both required the extra PCIe power connection direct from the power supply.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks folks for all the help...had thought it said it had a 500 watt power supply but am sure I am wrong on that.

Will stick with what I have for now I think.

Again thank you as I had no idea what I could/should do.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Changing out a power supply is pretty simple and you can get one on ebay for around $25-$75 for a 450W-500W. Well worth it if you play 3D games. It's a matter of four screws and then plugging in the cables for MOBO, CPU, maybe a mobo fan, and the HDs, and DVD, then of course the PCIe graphic card if you get one.

If you decide to give it a shot, stop back here and we can recommend a decent one. I know Nibs will want to weigh in on which brand you should look for.

PLUS, unlike what clifford found, the broad specs I found at gateway say it's possible you could have a 500W, it's definitely worth checking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you will do that....as you can tell I am not so computer savy :) Glad I stumbled on this great site.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the computer for some time then get yourself a good power supply. For a 450-500watt PSU you should spend no less than $50. Also, the better PSUs will be heavier than the cheap ones. If you're using an ATI HD3200 video card then you'll definitely need a PSU with a 6-pin video card power connector. You can also buy adapters too.

I don't know where in the Razorback state you reside, if you've ordered from Newegg before they have great prices on most computer parts.

It would be best to get one that is 80 Plus Certified. Those certifications come as Standard 80 Plus, Bronze, Silver and Gold. For your purposes the Standard or Bronze will suffice.

This one from Newegg is an ideal choice for you. $59.99 with $20 mail-in rebate which then makes it $39.99, Free shipping and 80 Plus Certified, also it's an OCZ brand which are very good PSUs. In addition, it's modular so you only use the power cables that are needed which reduces clutter in the case.

This is one HELL OF A GOOD BUY!

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

Last edited:

Ask a Question