vhd request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I guess he wants an actual .vhd file of a Windows 2000 Server environment.

12 mb? Yeah, right.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There's no way that can be done within 12mb. 12GB, yes. The Win 2000 Server app may be found on Amazon or eBay, but beware of eBay on these things.

I just checked, on Amazon, the lowest priced Win 2000 Server (new, legit) was $199. Very expensive for an unsupported OS.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well there ya go! Cat says you can buy one on eBay.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I found a download link to a vhd of 2000 Server Standard, but it's 600+ mb so clearly not what you were looking for.

Besides, I am not at all familiar with VHDs and I'd prefer Digerati or whatever his name is to comment on the legality of sharing these files before I post any links.

Reaction score
VHD
A Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) is a virtual hard disk file format, meaning it can contain what is found on a physical Hard Disk Drive, such as disk partitions and file system, which in turn can contain for example files and folders. It is typically used as the hard disk of a virtual machine.
Even though the disk is virtual, you still need to own a license for the OS installed on the VHD. Therefore sharing such a file could be against licensing agreement with the OS involved.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Core said:
I'd prefer Digerati or whatever his name is to comment on the legality of sharing these files before I post any links.
Well, Bill is my name, but an old commander used to call me Digerati after I fixed the general's computer, so it sort of stuck. ;)

c_c said:
Even though the disk is virtual, you still need to own a license for the OS installed on the VHD. Therefore sharing such a file could be against licensing agreement with the OS involved.
I agree 100% with Cliff - there's no such thing as a virtual license - you need the real thing whether you are running in virtual mode or not. I am not an expert on vitural licensing by any means but it is my understanding you can run several virtual instances on one machine with only one license - but again, you still need at least one license per physical machine.

Perhaps this Microsoft link will help: Licensing for Virtual Environments.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I can't find any legitimate VHD downloads of 2000 Server made available by Microsoft. There are VHDs of 2003 and 2008 on their site.

If someone has proof that it is legal to download a 2000 Server VHD from a non-Microsoft source, let me know via PM; otherwise, this thread will remain closed.

Please PM me or one of the other moderators if you have questions as to why this was locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question