Is Windows Firewall a resource hog?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Last week, I installed the ESET NOD32 AV that I bought from Newegg, that has gone well. I decided since I upgraded my AV, it was time to look into a new firewall also. So I installed the Comodo Firewall (free version) on both of my computers, and so far, I'm impressed.

For the most part, I left the standard settings alone, and accepted the pre-checked "Optimal" protection, rather than "Maximum". Because, in the past, whenever I jacked up security to the max, my internet connection was slowed.

However, upon installing Comodo onto my desktop, I noticed that upon startup, my icons load almost instantly. Before, with the Windows Firewall turned on, there was a noticeable wait. I've rebooted three times, and it loads fast. Amazing! With a low powered PC like I have, I need all of the help that I can get.:D

My question is, does the Windows Firewall uses that much of your computer's resources?

Cat

Reaction score
Can't answer your question Cat but I do have a question for you.
If you install another brand of firewall what happens? Does it detect and disable the Windows firewall or do you have to manually disable the windows once first.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I manually disabled the Windows one first. The Comodo firewall installed without any issues. Like I stated, my icons load almost instantly at startup, it never has fired up that fast before. The same on my XP Media Center install on my notebook, it loads fast.

One difference with the Comodo Firewall, it acts almost as an AV, as it attempted to block the install of CDRWIN 8 several times, I suppose the different processes of the install. The Windows one never acted that way. So I suppose it offers more protection, and with no loss of speed.

However, it recommends during the install to use their servers, if you like your speed, avoid that. You can choose not to use their servers.

Combined with ESET NOD32 AV, I feel a lot more secure than when I was using MSE with the Windows Firewall. MSE never, and I mean never, intercepted bad code on this desktop, or my notebook. There were never any files in quarantine, nor any logs where it deleted (or detected) a file that was infected.

It was only when I started using the ESET Online Scanner that I realized that I needed to go in another direction.

Hope this post is of some help.

Cat

Reaction score
Thanks Cat. I've been very happy with ESET since I installed the purchased version. Running it in XP & 7.
Not had any warnings from ESET although I have had the occasional pop-up from my registered version of Malwarebytes telling it blocked something.

I'll have a look at Comodo and see what I think.

Mike

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I think you'll be satisfied with Comodo Firewall. As for turning off the Windows 7 one, it's two clicks on it's control panel, and it's off. It's simple with XP, too.

Cat

Reaction score
Cool, did you also look at zone alarm? I've heard it also is pretty good.

Reaction score
I've installed Comodo. Seems so far so good. Quite a few settings to choose from.
I've firewall setting in 'safe' and defense setting in 'safe'. Kept my own server settings.

What other settings did you use Cat?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I really didn't change anything, except chose not to direct my internet through Comodo's servers. And to allow computer and printer sharing on my network. The default options seemed to be fairly adequate, at least so far they have. If I need to, I can always make adjustments.

As far as Zone Alarm goes, there were way too many issues (BSOD's, etc.) posted on this forum, as well as XP ones, for me to even consider it. I don't know how much merit was in the complaints, but there were way too many of them for my comfort zone.

Plus, Comodo is well known to be easy to setup, and for someone who has never changed firewalls, I needed it to be simple. And it was. From the start of the download, to installing it, took less than five minutes.

Does your screen(s) load faster, too?

Cat

Reaction score
Re-load seems very slightly faster but my win7 is still pretty 'clean' having only been in for a month and this desktop I keep very barren unlike my XP one which needs to populate lots of icons.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mine was reinstalled when I bought this hard drive, sometime last summer, I think. I keep it clean by regularly defragging with Perfect Disk Pro 11, perhaps the best paid defrag tool on the market (they have Home & Pro versions), and they offer updates as necessary. Plus I use CCleaner to keep the unneeded files deleted from it, and the registry clean.

I have a lot of installed software on it, there's 35 icons on the screen, plus some programs (like Office 2010) that doesn't have a desktop icon. Plus I have Windows Virtual PC installed on it, but I decided to install XP Media Center, rather than XP Mode. XP Mode doesn't give an option during install as to how much disk space to use, plus I like the look & feel of XP's Media Center.

My "C" partition is 462GB, with 232GB free. That's a lot of data. It was taking 15 to 30 seconds for that neon circle to stop spinning, and my icons loading up, one at a time. So having them load fast just by changing firewalls leads me to believe that the Windows Firewall is heavy on resources. That's the only proof that I have of it, on two computers.

BTW, it was just yesterday that I clean installed XP Media Center on my notebook, I used a trial version of Diskepper 2010 to defrag it good. That's how I do all of any new installs of Windows, is using trial software (of commercial versions) to clean everything up and making it run smooth. So there was no reason for it not to load fast from the beginning. It was not as noticeable on the notebook as it was on my desktop, but there was a positive difference of loadup times after home screen came on.

With two separate computers, running two entirely different OS's and hardware, I don't believe it was a coincidence that they're both loading faster.

At any rate, I hope that it works out well for both of us.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
When I fix my XP I'll put Comodo on that and see what happens. XP is a slow loader.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That will probably help it a lot. The difference may be more noticeable with all of your software installed on it.

If you want to get that partition running smooth, download a trial of Perfect Disk or Diskeeper, you can use it for 30 days, and it's a fully functional software. You can even schedule boot time defrags to defrag your page & system files, something that most defrag tools doesn't do. Plus, it'll defrag both partitions from the OS that it's installed on.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Man, is the security tight with Comodo or what? I really don't mind the security. But I was installing a Linux Mint OS onto my notebook, usually the internet will show when running off Live CD, and all I have to do is point it to the network, and enter the password. It didn't. So I did a full install, for it to find the hardware. It still didn't connect, even though I had the router name & password typed in (manually, through the hidden network option).

This is the very first time this has happened. But I'm not complaining, I can just as easily run it through VirtualBox. I just never realized that an alternative firewall can completely block the signal, making it hidden, although I chose internet sharing between my home network. But I guess that was between the already installed OS's.

That's a lot of security for free.

Cat

Reaction score
Well, I've never used any Firewall but my windows Firewall is always on...
I've heard about Comodo Firewall..... Is this better than windows firewall??? Where can I get this???

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You'll need to "turn off" the Windows Firewall before the install. It's two clicks and you're done.

Comodo Firewall can be found at:

http:www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

Enjoy! Just make sure that you don't select the option to allow your internet signal to run through their servers, or your download speeds will be slow. It's simple to install. And unless you need it, uncheck the Geek Buddy option, as you have to pay after 60 days.

Cat

Ask a Question