USB Mouse slow to respond after wake from Sleep in Windows 7

Reaction score
I have a Razer Copperhead USB Mouse.

Specs of my desktop can be found here: www.techcomet.com/p/my-gadgets.html

Basically, I put my desktop to sleep (using S3-STR) and when I wake it up my moues does not respond for about 15-30 s after which it works fine.

I have no other problems with my system, my keyboard responds fine and I have all necessary drivers installed.

I have no idea why this is happening and the fact that my computer resumes from sleep in 2 seconds is great, but not when I have to wait another 30 for the mouse to work!

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru2012, ya the link I gave for the firmware update isn't working. I'm glad you found a link that does.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The firmware and can be flashed. You can find the most recent version here :
http://www.razersupport.com/index.ph...nloaditemid=33
You can find some common issues in their knowledge base here :
http://www.razersupport.com/index.ph...1&pcid=0&nav=0

Does unplugging your mouse before you go into standby help? For example try unplugging the mouse before you put your computer to sleep, then wake it up and reattach the mouse right away. Does it help?
In Windows, it's not best to simply unplug the mouse or any USB device unless you click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" first. This can cause damage to your system, as well as data loss.

Reaction score
Well that sounds like it sucks :D lol. I never had a problem with such things but I do understand what your saying catilley1092. But I guess I implied to safely remove the mouse, for example I don't think abhiroopb should yank it out by the cord :) But point taken

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've not seen a mouse that would suffer from data loss. The whole idea behind safely removing hardware is to complete any data writes that maybe stored in the buffers that could result in data loss if not completed before unpluging a USB data storage device. If you notice the devices that are placed in the list to be safely removed are represented with a drive letter.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well that sounds like it sucks :D lol. I never had a problem with such things but I do understand what your saying catilley1092. But I guess I implied to safely remove the mouse, for example I don't think abhiroopb should yank it out by the cord :) But point taken
The reason I said this is because I pulled out my wireless modem early last year like that, and it never worked again. Verizon wouldn't give me another one, either. What I was going to do was attach a USB extension cable to it, and attach it to the window, so it would pick up better. But I don't have that problem any longer. I now have a wireless router that travels all over the place.:canabis:

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Firstly, sorry for the late response, it seems the e-mail notifications got junked for some reason! Had to check in the spam folder.

Secondly, I didn't install any drivers with the Razer mouse. I did install drivers for my Lycosa keyboard as I wanted to use the macros, however as I didn't want any of these functionalities for the mouse I simply plugged it in and I saw a number of drivers downloaded and the mouse seemed to work fine. Anyway I updated the driver. Here is what happened:

1. Updated driver and restarted computer
2. Tried to sleep, mouse did not wake as it should have. It took about 30s.
3. Tried "sleep" a few more times and mouse still would not wake immediately.
4. Uninstalled and re-installed driver and restarted computer.
5. Went into Device Manager and for the mouse I removed the check from "allow this device to wake the computer".

STILL DID NOT WORK!

I put the computer to sleep and hit the mouse and it brought it out of sleep, if I hit the mouse to bring it out of the sleep then the mouse was immediately awake. If I hit the keyboard or pressed the power button (on my desktop) the mouse would not wake.

So, I disabled the keyboard's ability to wake from sleep and now the mouse wakes up fine from sleep. Weird solution, but it works :)

Reaction score
Well glad to hear you got it working, I will keep your solution in mind for anyone else that may stumble across a simular problem.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So, I disabled the keyboard's ability to wake from sleep and now the mouse wakes up fine from sleep. Weird solution, but it works :)
Trixie the Cat had the same issues with those two mice; Pixie and Dixie!

Reaction score
Was just about to mark this as "solved", however I just came back from work and the problem happened again.

Computer came out of sleep in about 2 seconds. I entered my password and had to wait 45 seconds (I counted) before I could use the mouse.

Taking it out and plugging it back in works, but this isn't ideal as my mouse is plugged into the back of my desktop (and is basically impossible to reach unless I bend down and go under the table). So, I am still looking for a "conclusive" solution!

Reaction score
Well for another little work around for ya could lnclude buying some type of USB hub that extends out all the way up to your desk you can easily unplug and plug the mouse back in lol ;)

Reaction score
I actually have a pretty good hub, which I primarily used when I had a laptop, but I have enough ports and I don't want to add something I don't REALLY need...

Reaction score
I am simply clicking on my mouse to wake from sleep now, this wakes the mouse up first so it works immediately.

Reaction score
I wouldn't actually say its working. Basically, if I click on the keyboard or use the desktop's power button it wakes from sleep but the mouse does not work for about 30s. However, if I click on the mouse to wake the computer then it works fine.

Reaction score
Ok I believe I have "fixed" the issue.

Firstly, Legacy Support for a USB mouse needs to be turned on from the BIOS. Next you need to disable "allow device to wake from sleep" in the hardware settings for the USB keyboard and mouse.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I use a Razer Death Adder and a Saitek Eclipse Keyboard both USB .. no problems but I have only used Sleep on the odd occasion.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If one uses a USB mouse and/or USB keyboard the "Legacy" options always need to be turned on in the BIOS.

Ask a Question