usb cable

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Can a usb cable cause a BSOD?
Sure! There are several data and power circuits running through the various wires in a USB cable and connector. If one or more wire, or the connector is damaged, and an exposed wire or contact comes into contact with another contact, it could cause undesirable results, including system freezes or shutdowns - and hopefully not cause any permanent damage. If it is the power circuit, it could cause the PSU to shutdown - hopefully as a protective action.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I'd say it's certainly possible.

An alternative to always keep in mind, is that once ya plug in the cable, it activates a bad driver/program already present on the PC

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
An alternative to always keep in mind, is that once ya plug in the cable, it activates a bad driver/program already present on the PC
If a bad cable. The cable itself is just a wire. There are no circuits in USB cables or connectors. So if the cable is good, and there is no device connected on the other end of the cable, then the computer would not even notice the cable being connected. It is like plugging an extension cord into the wall. If nothing is plugged into the extension cord, there's no current flowing through the cable.

So when you ask if a USB cable can cause a BSOD, maybe you should clarify this is just a cable you are talking about, and not the cable connected to a device.

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Example: If printer is connected to PC via the usb cable and printer is on and functioning correctly. If the usb cable is faulty some how can it cause a BSOD.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's certainly possible but it is much more likely a driver issue. One way to be sure is to replace the cable.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have had some "not so good" USB cables give me issues.

I have found that the better ones will have a thicker cord, better shielding and the one's I prefer will have a ferrite choke attachment.

From Wikipedia:
A ferrite bead is a passive electric component used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. It is a specific type of electronic choke. Ferrite beads employ the mechanism of high dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called ferrite blocks, ferrite cores, ferrite rings, ferrite EMI filters, ferrite chokes or ferrous beads.

My portable 2.5" USB 2.0 hard drive external won't work with a standard 6 ft. cable, only one with a ferrite choke and heavier cable.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If the cable has been physically damaged (and that damage may not be visible) then sure, it could short something out, or insert unwanted voltages somewhere and cause a fault, or worse, damage something else.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And did it help or are you still getting BSODs?

Reaction score
Opps...I can't belive I left that out/off. Yes and no. Well to be completely honest...I don't know. Upgraded on some parts.

I ordered a new cpu cooler, RAM to install with this give-me AMD Phenom II X 4 940 Black edition CPU. So today I spent the morning installing all my new goodies and some despreately needed cable management.

New parts
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition CPU
Core-Contact 92mm CPU Cooler
G.SKILL 4 x 2 GB RAM PC 8500

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Off topic here a little... today I installed round SATA II cables of 10" and 12" lengths. Two of each size, and they really improved the cable management in my case, plus they're easier to bend and manipulate around corners and such. In addition, they're the perfect length for my drives to motherboard connections!

The cable end connectors were better quality too. :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Two of each size, and they really improved the cable management in my case, plus they're easier to bend and manipulate around corners and such. In addition, they're the perfect length for my drives to motherboard connections!
And, smaller cables do not impact air flow as much either.

bassfisher6522 said:
I ordered a new cpu cooler
Make sure you fully understand, the AMD CPU Warranty is very, very clear:
"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

Ask a Question