Upgrade Error

Reaction score
I have XP Pro64 bitand I am trying to upgrade to Win7 64 bit, While it is unwrapping files there is a point where it needs to reboot. When it does it comes up with the error saying it cant find a bootable device or something in that effect. I removed the win7 dvd and hit the restart on the computer. Install continues. It completes but when I try to put all of the data back in I cant open up my user name (Documents and Settings ) folder has a lock on it. I finally gave up and I am reinstalling XP Pro64 bit again as I type.

I will try to upgrade again.

Can anyone explain why when it reboots it wont just continue to install with the disk in the Drive?
Why there is a lock on the folder and wont let me access the files?

I bought the 3 pack and succeeded install on my main computer

P.S. Computer above is Intel MB DP55WB, I5 Processor

Reaction score
Ok so It happened again
MSg: Cant find suitable Boot device, see Intel.com/support/motherboard/desktop.....something to that effect. So i remove DVD from Drive > Hit the reset button> hit the down arrow and pick Windows Setup instead of return to previous installation.
Computer continues where it left odd "Expanding Windows Files"

What is this all about? am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Hi drewgost - Welcome to w7forums

How are you starting th install?
Are you booting from Windows 7 DVD media or starting the install process from within Windows XP Pro?

Can you afford to format the drive before installation?
This would be the best option.

I take it this is also a home built computer because its a Core i5 with XP and not vista installed. So in this case you would not have a restore partition causing you headaches like I have heard about with others failing install.

Reaction score
Hi Clifford thanks for the reply

I wiped out the drive and reformatted 3 times.
Then I reinstalled XP Pro and started the install process from within Windows XP Pro?
It still had that hickup where it says it cant find bootable ????? but like I said I remove the disc from the drive and hit reset button stop from auto loading OS and change to continue to windows install

It seems to have installed ok at this point I am running I have not tried to look at the folders yet running all updates and going to install all apps and take it from there.

Reaction score
So you are using Windows 7 now?

If so don't worry about anything unless you see problems somewhere.
Lets hope the install completed.

Reaction score
Yes it is working awesome!!

Everything is back in and running

So if anyone has that glitch I guess the solution is to do what I said

when you get message no bootable fouind

1 Remove disc
2 restart
3 hit the down arrow when you see the options, it is fast so be ready
4 Down arrow to the windows setup option

And you should be good to go

Drew