Uninstalling Windows 7 query

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know much about this and I need to know what I am up for if I decide to do this.
I have two 1 terrabyte HDD's in my PC which are both nearing capacity. I am considering removing windows 7 from this PC and installing Windows XP (this is a near new system with good specs, and I have had enough of dealing with freezing problems).
I understand I need to back up my data or something along those lines.. What is actually involved in changing an OS in regards to keeping the large amount of data I have?
Also what should I look for to see exactly which HDD has W7 installed, and the same for my XP machine which has more than one HDD?
This brings up an interesting idea, would swapping HDD's from the XP PC to this one with W7 be easier?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Swapping the W7 drives to the other machine might work because it would look for the right drivers. XP isn't likely to be as friendly. But since you are already experiencing problems I would suggest a fresh W7 install anyway.

Also if you have an OEM W7 license it would not be legal; but full or upgrade version you would be OK there.

It concerns me that you don't know which drive has the OS and which has data etc and makes me fear this task you propose may be risky to both machines health.

Reaction score
Hi MrMan and thanks for responding.
If I have a license for both Windows 7 and Windows XP, I should be free to uninstall and reinstall on whatever HDD I choose shouldn't I?
I am not sure which HDD has W7 installed as this was done for me at a computer store, maybe an easy way would be to disconnect the one I think does not have W7 installed and reboot the machine.
I hate to jinx myself, but after another dust clean of the system things are looking very smooth, however it has only been an hour .

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It depends on the licenses. Changing harddrives within a single machine won't invalidate the license but switching the harddrive to another totally different machine or switching out the motherboard for anything other than the same make/model is considered installing the software on a new computer and is not legal for an OEM license (like those that come preinstalled on a laptop). If you have the full or upgrade version which came in a box with both 32 & 64-bit versions then you can transfer those legally. I don't know the rules for XP but it's possible if the XP came preinstalled on that machine then it can't be transferred but you would need to reed the license agreement to be sure.

Yes if you unplug the one you think is data and the boot you should know right away if the one still plugged in is your OS.

And I don't believe any amount of cleaning is going to keep a machine from freezing. What may help is reseating the components (avoid greasy fingerprints on contacts and as much as possible on everything else). I had a computer one time that worked fine until it warmed up and the video card would pop slightly out of it's socket. I shoved a wooden pencil under the motherboard and the slight pressure was enough to keep the video card in place. That was a bugger to figure out. There are so many little hardware quirks that yes, sometimes a new machine is best.

Reaction score
I hope your not telling me to buy a new machine lol, buy a new OS more like it :p
The dust clean is still holding its own so far. I will make sure I have the right info before reinstalling on other machines, thanks again for the info!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sounds good.

You should probably download the drivers that each OS would need for the other machine. You might get lucky and W7 find the ones it needs but XP isn't likely to work when just popped into another machine.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Jimmy - if you look in Disk Management section in the Control Panel, System Administration, Computer Management. You should be able to discern which drive has what operating system on it.

On most Gigabyte motherboards the following is usually true:
Drive 0 = First SATA port on mobo, usually labeled: SATA Port 0
Drive 1 = Second SATA port on mobo, usually labeled: SATA Port 1

You can also download S.I.W. (System Information for Windows). It's free for personal use and will give you tons of info you may find useful.

SIW Without Installer (English-Only)
Download (This is a standalone version or portable as some users term it.)

Ask a Question