SOLVED Unable to install new devices

Reaction score
I run a HP Pavillion Desktop with windows 7 (64 bit). I have problem where I cant intall new devices, ie a mouse, MP3 player or an external hard drive. All existing devices work ok, ie mice, MP3 players and external hard drives. I get a message device driver not successfully installed. However if I start up in Diagnostic the new hardware works perfectly, ie Drivers have loaded OK. I have updated all the drivers from the HP website and the problem still exists.
I also have went in to MSNONFIG, Service tab, checked hide microsoft and disabled all the rest of the services, rebooted and the probelm still exists

Can anyone help

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It could be you have an unknown device. Open control panel > device manager. Open everything and carefully look for yellow exclamation marks. If found, uninstall the driver.

Are you running SP1? Some people has USB driver problems after SP1 was installed however they should have been fixed with KB2529073. Still you might run this tool to make sure your USB drivers are properly installed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I checked device manager and there are no yellow exclaimation marks. I also run the file/ program as you suggested and it came as all files were up todate and no changes were made.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What do you mean by "if I start up in Diagnostic the new hardware works perfectly"? What is diagnostic ... do you mean safe mode?

Reaction score
I should have written, "system recovery". On my HP Pavillion, I have an option when the PC boots up to press F11 which takes the PC in to System Recovery. I purchased 2 new mice which dont work on normal boot up ( but work perfectly in other PC's ) but work perfectly in System recovery mode

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
System Recovery's primary job is to repair the W7 OS but it also likely loads default drivers and services.

I'm spit-balling here because I don't know for sure but a few ideas:

1. I doubt it but, it is a good idea to rule out a virus issue: Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. If you do not have an anti-virus then download, install, and allow to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

2. Log on normally and start an administrative command prompt. Run "sfc /scannow" and it should repair any damaged OS files. See if the issue persists. This is mainly what your system restore should be doing so I doubt it will help but it's easy enough to try it.

3. Have you stopped and/or deleted any Services or used a "speed up your PC" program that might have? It is possible a service is needed that you no longer have available.

4. But my best guess is registry corruption. It may be limited to your userid. Try creating a brand new account and then log on with that ID. If you do not get the error logged on with the new account then your user settings (registry/services) is corrupt or set improperly. If it doesn't work under the new ID either then it could still be the registry but the damage is in a common area. If the new ID works then you can copy your data over and start using that. If it doesn't work or that isn't acceptable then you would need to completely reinstall, which means backing up all your data/settings, reinstalling W7, restoring your data, and then reinstalling all your programs.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I have tried as you have suggested but the problem still exists
1: Downloaded TDSS and RKill. Both run successfully with no issues found. I have Norton’s 2013 installed and run a full scan of the PC along with MBAM, once again no issues
2: Run "sfc /scannow, and no integrity violations were reported
3: This problem started approx. 6 months ago, and I thought it wasn't registering any new "mice" I tried to use. I only realised recently, it was any new hardware. I don’t use any programs to speed up my PC and I don’t believe I have deleted any services
4: I created a new account as suggested, and tried to connect a new external hard drive, but the problem still exists. . Looks like a turning back to factory settings (I don’t have original disks), just the OS on a partition within the C Drive.
However I have one major concern, I have a litigable copy of Office 2010, along with the product Keys. However, I downloaded it from a site in 2011 (purchased through work) and still have the URL. Will I still be able to download office 2010?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know. Use the URL and see if you can download the Office 2010 installer. Then simply back up that installer along with the rest of your data to an external drive before you restore factory settings.

Reaction score
Agh01~

Just out of curiosity...

and also "spitballing".. as TM put it... ;)

Did you try possibly going to the manufactures website of the mice you are having isuees with and running the software BEFORE plugging the mice in ?

SOMETIMES.. thats what it takes to make sure you have the right "stuff" installed to make the mice work and be recoignized by your system.

If you HAVE done this ..then it MIGHT be a case not haveing "elevated" (full administrative) privledges on the computer. In which case.. thats a diffrent issue.

Regarding, the TDSS,Rkill, and Mbam did you run them ALSO in " safe mode" ?? that CAN also make a difference.. there is also ONE OTHER software you can run .. but im reluctant to advise it unless you KNOW what you are doing with it or have advice to go along runing it . .. as its a quite strong program ..

Regarding Office 2010, you SHOULD be able to redownload the software. DEPENDING on the site ( As TM suggested go to the site if its still "live" you should just be able to download the software again).

You should then also be able to Copy/Burn it to a CD/DVD so that you have it for future issues. (which I woud highy suggest) OR (if you can) order a Physical copy of the software from the place you got it from. if you are uncomfortable copying/buring a cd/dvd.

Hope this helps.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I returned my PC back to factory settings and and I'm now able to connect all new hardware and also the machine is considerably faster. I also successfully reloaded my Office 2010, however I would be keen to know how you can burn to a DVD as a future back-up, can you advise.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you can. I believe the digital download URL just links to a little installation routine which you could, of course, tell your browser to save rather than run and once saved you could burn that file to a DVD. But it isn't until you actually run that installer that it actually downloads and install the components of office you have selected and I don't know any way you can tell the installer to just get everything and write that to DVD.

Ask a Question