Transfering files from XP to W7

Reaction score
My current folder structure is on in which multiple file types (.doc, .jpg, .xls, etc etc) can all be found in a single Folder (Example: a Family genealogy folder that has each of these types for ease of access. Grouping all file types that apply to a single family group makes more sence than having three different family groups of the same name in a specific file type.) What control do I have in designing the folder/file structure in W7? I want to continue to use the one described above. Another example, files associated with home remodeling include pictures (Before after), Specifications (.doc), Budgets (.xls) and Bids from contractors (.pdf). It makes no sense to have each type in a seperate Library. I need them all in the same Folder regardless of file type. Can this be done? How do I do this?

When I transfer all my data from old xp box to new W7 notebook does this need to be done file by file, or is there a way to automate it?

Thanks

Mapguy

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Put them all in My Documents. It is the file association that controls what application runs when you click on it, W7 doesn't care.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You can transfer files in a number of ways, but in your case it me be easiest (fastest) to pick up an 8GB USB flash drive for about $15 - $20 to copy every thing over. You can copy the root folders instead of file by file. (If I understood that part of your question).

Other alternatives could be CD or DVD if you have a burner.( slow and tedious if you have a lot of data to transfer.) You could try to network the computers later on, or you could install a program like TeamViewer on both computers to access and transfer the files. (Internet access from both computers required.)

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As long as you aren't going from a 64bit to W7 32-bit you can use WET (Windows Easy Transfer) and it will transfer your userids/logons and your data. Be sure to select advanced to verify it gets the folder where you store all your files and as yoda mentioned have it put the transfer info to a USB stick or a DVD

Reaction score
Another method that you could use is the windows easy file tranfer which uses wizards to help you choose which files are transfered

Ask a Question