Touch screen interface

Reaction score
Hello,
I thought I would give windows 7 a go about a week ago on my Home system and loved it so much I've decided to install on my "carpc" that's fitted in my Toyota Hilux :)

The install seemed to go well just like it did on my Home system, with even the touch screen being found, only problem I could not get it to Calibrate very precise.
One thing I noticed right away was Windows 7 seems to have a built in Touch Screen interface that only shows the options to when it knows a Touch screen is present, for example you can scroll about in word docs, or internet explorer just by placing your finger anywhere on the screen rather than the little bar on the right you normally have to use which can be hard on a 7" touch screen. There is a better on screen keyboard that pops out when needed if using the touch screen, also the cursor changes to a small dot rather than a mouse cursor, but changes back as soon as you move the mouse. I'm sure there are other features I not had chance to find yet.

My only problem now is due to me not being able to calibrate the screen as good as normal I decided to install the Software/drivers from the screen manufacture, I used the Vista version which worked well, and now the screen is calibrated perfectly.
The problem is now windows 7 has taken away all the touch screen options in the control panel, plus all the above features I said no longer happen :(

Any idea how I can get them back while still maintaining my manufactures driver/software?

Thanks,
Rob.

England, Brighton.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thanks for that link, I will try that out after work.

as for my carpc, it's a 12v pc in a small alloy case siliar to whats used for car ampliphers. I use a bit of software called "freeice" which is a front end that goes over the top of windows so easy control can be made of the touch screen for things like Music, sat nav, videos, radio, internet etc.
I was hoping that the new Windows 7 would maybe replace the need for using a front end, but not quite there just yet...

Here is a screen shot and few pictures taken from about 18 months ago (not got any fresh ones to hand)

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/kingdeacon/?action=view&current=12092007021.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks! :D That software looks very polished, I didn't realise there were many people doing this sort of thing. Having a touchscreen PC in the car is much more fun than using a TomTom GPS :)

Good luck with the calibration!

Reaction score
There is quite a few people doing it now in England, but not as many as the US, I had to import my carpc from US.

It's so much better than a tomtom :) World mapping for a start.
Once you have a PC fitted under the seats all you can see is the Screen, apart from a USB hub in the glove box and a mini bluetooth keyboard.
I have Night vision Cams front and rear, 500gig hard drive for music vids etc, internet, TV, bluetooth for mobile link (comes out speakers and mutes music) MSN mesenger with webcam wjile driving lol, you just keep adding bits here and there :) Non of which costs much of the net either.
Just think what someone like BMW would charge for some thing half as good on a new car?

Ask a Question